Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I'm thinking of using diesel to soak and clean a lot of my parts in my restoration, there are some parts I can't completely pull apart so I would like to keep them as they are. The problem is that some have some kind of rubber piece included in the assembly. I was wondering if I soaked the assembly as it was with the rubber piece would it ruin or damage to rubber piece? Thanks all

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
imported post

Fuel oil is bad for rubber, it will swell and make it very soft.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Use seafoam for cleaning rubber parts, won't hurt them at all.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

I'm not trying to soften nor clean the rubber parts. I'm trying to clean the metal part, the rubber part is just stuck in the assembly. I can't separate the parts to remove the rubber.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

It's related to my issue of my other post. It's about the inability to separate the pulley from the camshaft

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
imported post

Bagmaster wrote:
Use seafoam for cleaning rubber parts, won't hurt them at al
Well, I'm not so sure about that. It depends on the length of time the rubber is exposed. Seafoam in mostly naptha. When I was a kid, I worked for a typewriter wholesaler. Taking the rubber platens off and cleaning them was part of my job. We used naptha to soften and cut the outer rubber. chucked the platen in a drill press, and then used crocus cloth to cut the softened rubber away. I didn't take long for the naptha to soften and swell that rubber.

I wouldn't mind using seafoam to clean a rubber part with, but I wouldn't let it set.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.