Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a goldwing 1500gl 1991 I had rubbing from brakes. Thought it was brake pads so changed them but still front left is rubbing so I bought a caliper kit. Changed pistons and seals but front left brake still rubbing. Any help would be grateful. Thanks tom

·
Registered
115 Posts
If it's the caliper backer rubbing the disc then loosen the axle pinch bolts and the fork brace and move the fork to get clearance

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi thanks for reply. I think it's the pads that's rubbing. But tried everything. I wouldn't know how to do what you mentioned. I'm new to all this.

·
Administrator
25,355 Posts
I don't know what the caliper backer is.
I think he means caliper bracket. It's the part attached to the fork the caliper mounts to. Take the caliper off and see if the rotor is rubbing the bracket.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a goldwing 1500gl 1991 I had rubbing from brakes. Thought it was brake pads so changed them but still front left is rubbing so I bought a caliper kit. Changed pistons and seals but front left brake still rubbing. Any help would be grateful. Thanks tom
1. Insure the fork tubes are square. Loosen the pinch bolts at the front bottom of the forks. Loosen the axel. Spin the wheel and gently turn one fork at a time until the scraping stops. tighten the axel and the pinch bolts. The axel should square the lower fork tubes but sometime not. Just a fraction off and will scrape.
2. Lubricate caliper pins. #17, 18 and 19 in the attached image.

·
Premium Member
4,211 Posts
My 91 had the exact same problem, shuddering not warping/pulsing.
See pix below, 10 RED areas, clean and lube use 'silicone caliper brake lube'.
VERY CAREFUL on the rubber boots, they're TENDER and rip very easily.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
62,783 Posts
Hallo Tamoliver

Welcome on this nice forum. Wish you al the best.
And good luck with your Wing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts