Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi everyone

I just returned from a nice trip to the mountains..

I have a rubbing sound in the rear of my bike that I never noticed before. It is fairly pronounced in 1st and 2nd gear. The sound goes away when I give it gas and put load on it or when I pull the clutch in. Any ideas as to what the noise may be???

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

Put it on the center stand and start it up.. put it in gear.. now carefully listen... Also, look for rub marks n the tire.. Precious little to go with... without a little more information... and WELCOME as I see you are recent to the forum!!

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,937 Posts
imported post

Hi Bugz,

Pull the bags and look for anything with abrasion marks and make sure the wheel is tracking straight.

It could be something serious like a brake line rubbing or a loose wheel, or even bad bearings. Don't stop until you figure it out because it might be very dangerous.

On the other hand I'vehad a leaf stick in a swingarm and make a horrendous noise.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

thanks...

I'll try it on the center stand and see what I can figure out...

I don't see anything rubbing, ie brake line or marks on the tire.

I'm thinking drive or transmission.

bugs

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

I had a similar situation. The rotor was rubbing on the caliper bracket occassionally. Despite not being able to detect bad wheel bearings, that is what it turned out to be.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks...
What's confusing me is if I use the brakes the noise is still there. When I use the clutch or increase the gas the noise goes away... I will put it on the center stand and see what I can figure out when I get home from work..

bugz

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Hello everyone..

I figured out the noise. The rear bearing was bad and when the rear tire was installed no moly was used. It makes a heck of a racket!!!

That's all fixed up and we're ready to ride...

thanks for the help

bugz

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Good that you corrected a potentially dangerous condition if you had let it go, or ignored it. :clapper:

Thanks for the update !!

Dusty

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.