Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the next few weeks (if the paychecks and time pan out in my favor) I'll be changing out my fuel filter on my '86 GL1200A. In the cold, it's SLOW to warm up and in the warm it's still kinda choke-y and seems fuel starved at lower RPMs.

My suspicion is that it's still got the original fuel filter and needs a new one, but in the meantime I was gonna run a few cans of Sea Foam through the fuel system.

HOWEVER, there's always a "that guy" somewhere and in this case, the "that guy" is an old local redneck from way back who said "Eh, just run some 110 racing fuel through it. That'll get you right."

I know leaded fuel won't hurt it and 110 is better than 87 obviously...but will it really help clear out the fuel system and clean things up while I find time to replace the filter?

TL;DR: SeaFoam vs. leaded 110 racing fuel to clean up fuel system?

·
Administrator
25,364 Posts
Quite the opposite, it just causes carbon buildup and does nothing but help lighten your wallet. High octane is for high compression engines or supercharged or turbocharged, there are absolutely no, 0, nada benefits to using it in your goldwing.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good enough for me. My wallet is plenty light and I'm more inclined to pay for a few bottles of SeaFoam over the next four tanks than pay for lasting damage that I'll have to address later.

Thanks.

·
Banned
4,568 Posts
nothing above 86 OCTANE is needed, most find 87 pumps available and as noted, unless you have installed a supercharger
or turbo there is no reason to use race gas.
I worked at the track and airport with ready access to such fuels, and no need!

Can you imagine a turbo or SC Wing!!,,have to look up Bonneville speed records and see if its been done lol

The Seafoam can lacks complete instructions, my info comes direct from Jim D. Seafoams tech rep and smart guy.

Correct CLEANING DOSE is 2 ounces PER gallon of fuel run thru 20 to 25 Gallons of fuel, approx 4 tanks.
It will be sparkling inside after that.
IF the bike hasnt been sitting and used good gas in the past, 2-3 tanks cleaning dose will be plenty

Ok to install new NGK spark plugs ahead of time, wont hurt them AND ensures full ability
to burn off freshly liquefied carbon deposits and kick them out the exhaust

If you suspect a clogged fuel filter, replace it now so it doesnt release and dump its crud to the carbs.

When ready for oil change: add 6 ounces Seafoam to the engine oil and ride 100-200 miles.
Drain oil with it warm from 15 minute freeway romp, very important!
New filter and oil- try the Chevron DELO 15-40 Diesel LE engine oil, does wonders and is only 12 bucks a GALLON

Once all is clean, Seafoam MAINTENANCE DOSE in the GAS midyear at 1 ounce PER Gallon Fuel thru 2 tanks,
at oil change time is good reminder.
Some people ride enough to use 1 oz per gal in 1 tank per month and keep things clean.

NOTE: More than 2 ounces Seafoam per gallon fuel DOES NOT make it work harder, jump higher, or produce faster results.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Perfect information, folks - greatly appreciated. I'm a regular SeaFoam user in my car ("won" it in my divorce earlier this year - the longer I can keep it alive, the better so it RUNS on SeaFoam) and suspected it'd help out with a 30 year old bike.

I've only had the thing about a month and a half, two months, so I'm still finding and diagnosing problems.

GWF and GD have been my bibles and totally worth it.

·
Banned
4,568 Posts
Save your money- no need for constant seafoam, and its actually cutting your mpg slightly as its oils- not fuel, not as combustible as straight fuel

cage directions 2 oz per gal thru 20-25 gallons, midyear 1 oz per gal + oil method

Try it in the Wing oil, makes a difference!

·
Banned
4,568 Posts
I use an aftermarket fuel filter so thats true! BUT... The filter doesnt do any cleaning, just captures loose stuff in the tank.

If you are suggesting the OP change the filter as a starting point, I agree
New fuel filter is rarely going to make a problem worse, and often cures acceleration and other issues.

the seafoam suggestion is because OP wants to clean internals, another good maintenance idea for all.

·
Administrator
25,364 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I use an aftermarket fuel filter so thats true! BUT... The filter doesnt do any cleaning, just captures loose stuff in the tank.

If you are suggesting the OP change the filter as a starting point, I agree
New fuel filter is rarely going to make a problem worse, and often cures acceleration and other issues.

the seafoam suggestion is because OP wants to clean internals, another good maintenance idea for all.
OP does in fact want to clean internals, as well as replace the fuel filter. I got some sluggishness in my wing and low MPG (or garbage math...or both).

·
Banned
4,568 Posts
New fuel filter and c'foam it, new NGK spark plugs and ck your air filter. Makes it run like new.

Have to look at fuel average over several tanks. RPM above 3000-3500 drops mpg

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Seafoam now, checked the filter last night and it was like brand new. Just gotta change the filter and watch the mileage go up.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
@DaveO430
In answer to your question the only way I've found to read anything past the 10th post in this thread and it only happens in this thread is to go to
"Thread Tools" > "Show Printable Version"

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.