Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Anyone know why tiremanufacturers don't seem to want to make run-flat tires for motorcycles?

They're availablefor cars. A flat in a caris justan inconvenience compared to aflat on a bike!

What's up? Why isn't the market flooded with run-flat motorcycle tires. Seems like a no-brainer.

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
imported post

Probably not worth it to them to develop one.:baffled:I would like one on the front too.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

long time ago goodyear made a tire designed to stay on the rim incase of a flat (almost all tires were "tubed" then). Goodyear doesn't have mc tires anymore.

had a flat on my hd with oem dunlops.... very impressed with the tire... I was on the freeway (dark, wrong side of town) and drove 5-6 miles on surface streets to a well lite gas station... tire shifted about 6" on the rim... but got me there

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
imported post

I have a friend that is a motorcycle policeman and he has run flat tires on his Harley. I will ask him who the manufacturer is the next time I see him.

Your Friend,

John D.

PS He told me the dealer hates to change them!!!

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
imported post

The old Kawasaki 1000 Police bikes came with Run-flat tires.
A few years ago I was out in So Calif and there is a dealer that had a whole lot full of used police bikes. As I recall the majority of them had run flat tires. Now what sizes they come in is another question??:?

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

john D. wrote:
I have a friend that is a motorcycle policeman and he has run flat tires on his Harley. I will ask him who the manufacturer is the next time I see him.

Your Friend,

John D.

PS He told me the dealer hates to change them!!!
I bet dunlop

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

If I recall, they are very pricy, don't remember the dealer (here in So Cal) but he was selling them for amost 400 dollars 3 or 4 years ago.

·
Administrator
27,770 Posts
imported post

There is very little R&D put into motorcycle tires. They come along with new tread patterns once in a while and a new rubber compound every other decade but that's about it. They have made radials but if anyone can tell they are different in any way they have a lot more sensitive seat of the pants than I do. If some manufacturer makes run flat MC tires they are probably specialties and only available to police, the public be damned. You have a flat and crash, they will make it your fault somehow.

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
imported post

why not just put a car tire on your bike?

...roach skurries for cover.. hehe

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
imported post

Roach wrote:
...roach skurries for cover.. hehe

:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

I used to have a Goodyear tire on my old Kawasaki, and it had a special bead on it that overlapped the bead a bit. Was supposed to keep it on the rim in case of a flat.

Tire had a flat bottom (like a cart tire). Was plenty glad to go to a real Dunlop MC tire when that thing wore out.

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
imported post

The percentage of MC tires to car, truck SUV etc. doesen't warrent much development and research for the manufacturers although a flat on two wheels can be much more dangerous, I'm afraid it's all about $$$$$$$

Ali

·
Premium Member
2,169 Posts
imported post

WingMan71 wrote:
Anyone know why tiremanufacturers don't seem to want to make run-flat tires for motorcycles?

They're availablefor cars. A flat in a caris justan inconvenience compared to aflat on a bike!

What's up? Why isn't the market flooded with run-flat motorcycle tires. Seems like a no-brainer.
This is as close as you're gonna find anywhere, I think...... http://www.rhinotire.com/

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

Chippy01 wrote:
WingMan71 wrote:

This is as close as you're gonna find anywhere, I think...... http://www.rhinotire.com/
Not bad. A bit pricey, but looks like they don't have anything that small for a 1200.

·
Premium Member
2,169 Posts
imported post

mikef wrote:
Chippy01 wrote:
WingMan71 wrote:

Not bad. A bit pricey, but looks like they don't have anything that small for a 1200.
The question that goes through my mind is :-
Do they sell the tyres pre-treated; (ie, this is what we have - take it or leave it), or can you bring your own tyre into them to be treated?
If it's the second option, then ANY tyre can be done!

edit btw - that is a new webpage for that company. Thier old pages had more on them.No doubtwhen they have finished with the construction of thier website, more info will be available.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
imported post

Now looks like there are dealers (strangely mine seems to be a farm NE of town). Ebay link is showing 2 Kendra Kruze tires with it so must be availabe as treatment.

Well, I was interested- don't know if anyone else is....

·
Premium Member
24 Posts

·
Senior Something
13,270 Posts
imported post

Chippy01 wrote:
mikef wrote:
Chippy01 wrote:
WingMan71 wrote:

The question that goes through my mind is :-
Do they sell the tyres pre-treated; (ie, this is what we have - take it or leave it), or can you bring your own tyre into them to be treated?
If it's the second option, then ANY tyre can be done!
A paragraph from the rhinotire webpage

Safety technology can be applied to any type and size of tire. Bikes, motorcycles, cars, pickups or commercial trucks. It works on new and used tires with the same result.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.