Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Are You Going On The "Run For The Wall" This Year?

• Yes, wouldn't miss it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No way. Just too long of a trip

• Never heard of it.

• I'll consider it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I was wondering how many of you will be riding in the "2009 Run For The Wall"?

This is my first year and I'm totally pumped up and ready to ride. For those unfamiliar with this ride, they leave Rancho Cucamonga, CA and ride to Washington, DC in 10 days. Although you can join anywhere along the entire route, I'll be riding the entire route.

If you're unfamilar with this ride, go to http://www.rftw.org/and check it out.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,716 Posts
imported post

Bob,

I wish I could join up with you, but not able to this year.

Maybe next year.

Enjoy your trip, and above all, be safe.

John

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

I do enjoy those rides and also the Trail of Tears. Where exasperated motorists sit at an intersection for three hours while bikes ride by. The comrade attitude, the bikes , the great days, and on the open road.

But not this year. I am going to make a spring run to Key West, and in the fall a run to Colorado.

Could be the next year though.

In this time of no common sense and desperate times for many. It is a spirit of America that I very much admire.

Kit

·
I am the Hobo
9,690 Posts
imported post

A bit far for me I think. Total respect to all who take the time to do this.

We now have a similar thing in the UK called Ride To The Wall.

The wall in question is at the National Arboretum and bears the name of every serviceman ( & woman) who has died on duty since the end of WWII.

Took a look last year whilst at the Rider's National Rallyand my Uncle's name is on there.

http://www.rttw.org/

http://www.nationalmemorialarboretum.org.uk/

They grow not old
As we that are left grow old
Age shall not weary them
Nor the years condemn
At the going down of the sun
And in the morning
We will remember them!

I think what you are doing is as good a way as any to ensure that We Do Remember Them and I am sure you will have plenty of company on the ride.

·
Premium Member
9,409 Posts
imported post

I want to do it soooo bad...but the $$ thing just wont allow me to do it:(

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
imported post

same here :( anyone wanna sponsor me????

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

socks suck wrote:
same here :( anyone wanna sponsor me????
I'm sure Obama has some kind of program help you. Heck, he's financing all the bale outs, corporate junket trips and golden parachutes! I see no reason why he can't help you out too.:dude:

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
imported post

i did it in 2006 via the central route. I hooked up in Limon Colorado to Washington DCIt was the best mental theraphy since i left nam in 70 and ive seen my fair share of shrinks . The brotherhood among combat vets made me feel like a person again. . I couldnt begin to tell you how many times I started crying under my glasses. The Kentucky Viet Nam memorial is a must see. It is definitly not a joy ride a lot of times over 500 bikes and had a trike and a harley with a trailer crash right in front of me crossing a bridge overthe mississippi river<those light relections over them bridges can be a real mother bear>but I still highlyrecommend it for any combat veteran. It was a great healing process. If financesimprove and I feel im healthy enough id likego all the waythis year. I could use another mental tuneup. JB

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

This is a shameless bump.

The time nears. As of now it's only 38 days away. Have you reconsidered this great ride?

·
Premium Member
5,381 Posts
imported post

w5blt wrote:
This is a shameless bump.

The time nears. As of now it's only 38 days away. Have you reconsidered this great ride?
It's not a shameless bump. The cause belongs at the top of the list. Ride safe.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
imported post

I will be riding from Michigan to DC. This will be my first time and though I am not a veteran I fully support them all.

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

I'm riding the southern route all the way from CA. Hope to see you in DC!

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
imported post

I will be riding with a group from the Rolling Thunder Ohio Chapter 9. We will leave Cincinnati May 21st.

·
Premium Member
931 Posts
imported post

Hey Patrick, I just registered .will join up with the run in Hurricane W.V on the 20th . this is on my bucket list and I'm not getting any younger. made reservations in hurricane and lewisburg and I'm looking for something in arlington that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

The anticipation is building. I can't wait to get on the road.

23 Days, 12 Hours, 50 Minutes, 36 Seconds

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
imported post

This is where my group is staying in DC. I don't know if they still have any rooms.

QUALITY INN GOVERNOR
6650 ARLINGTON BLVD
FALLS CHURCH, VA 22042 USA Phone: (703) 532-8900
Fax: (703) 532-7121
Email Address: [email protected] Good luck on a room and your ride in.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
imported post

Glad you got a room. Safe riding to you.

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
imported post

Unfortunately I wont be able to meet up with you guys in DC. Tentative plans are to head out tomorrow sometime and break up the 800 mile trip to Williams AZ with a overnighter inlaughlin nv<105 degrees> and then meet up with the central route wednesday evening in williams az. .Angel Fire NM will probably be the end of the road for me this time before slowlyheading back. I really hope you have good weather and a safe trip. FairFax Lakes outside DC is a good camping place. JB

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
imported post

Live in Old Town Alexandria, VA apx 3 miles to Pentagon. Hope to see a bunch of you there. Anyone needing local info feel free to call - 571-213-1771 - I'll do what I can - did you know you can park your bike in Old Town Alexandria and take the boat taxi right to Downtown DC & George Town?

http://www.thegearhartfamily.com/pats32a.htm

I'm kicking myself in the A$$ for not organizing some late night party on our Condo roof- thing is like Abbey Road with unbelievable views.I even own a DJ Company but just been so busy for 2 months that this date just creeped up.

Ride safe and watch where you park.:cool:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.