Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi,

We are trying to register Rune here in Finland and we have some problems with emissions. Rune's don't have catalysator like wings so we got to have proof of emissions. Has anybody COC paper about Runes ? If not all of official proof of emissions are welcome. Of course papers from EU-countries are more valuable to me.

:baffled::baffled:

Thanks in advance
Rauno
Ps. No, I am not selling my wing even I get the plates for Rune

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
imported post

Do you know if the Rune you have is a California model or a regular model?

The California model was equipped differently to meet more stringent emissions specs.

Second question, have you tried asking Honda?

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

How do I find out which one is California model and which one not ? Vins ?

I asked the same paper from Honda for my GL1800 few years ago and they were not able to deliver me one. And in US the test is run with miles program which is not valid for EU. Eu has own program with km's. But as I said any proof of emissions is welcome.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Honestly I think you are on your own to come up with some type of solution. Most countries do not have very strict emission standards, and the changes to the bikes even for areas like California in our US are very subtle. Not enough to meet the requirements in some places that are more restrictive.

Finding the information would have to come direct from Honda(good luck with that-do not hold your breath) as none of the service manuals, none of the owners manuals even address emission requirements, or the components of a bike that contribute to the control of emissions other than simply to identify them.

A statement in a motorcycle owners manual, such as in a regular car that may say something like this vehicle meets all requirement for emission standards and lists the government standard, I have not seen in any manuals for bikes. Most bikes have escaped this regulation and have not as of yet came under restriction or been included in mandatory emission standards, such as regular cars. In motorcycle manuals they will warn you about some things and say this component is important to emission control, but they do not identify or explain it.

I think I would look for some type of law, showing maybe vehicles manufactured prior to something would be exempt, there is always one law or two if you can find it, that will bail you out.

Maybe you could just hammer a tater in one exhaust pipe and cut the pollution in half?;)

Kit

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
imported post

If this were my problem, and thank heavens it isn't, I think I would try and go about it another way.

Does Finland have specific emissions requirements for motorcycles, and if so can you find out what they are? If you have that information then it should be possible to find someone who could test the vehicle and determine if it meets the published Finnish specs.

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
imported post

It occurs to me after a little bit of thinking (it is early here) that the emissions are mostly measured in grams per mile or km driven.

This makes it very hard to test unless you have the exact testing protocol.

Good luck is all I can say!

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Actually Finland is part of European Union and regulations comes from there. There has been exception for law in Eu which allowed to register bikes without catalyst (EUR2) bikes but it ended at 2006. It seems that registration is not possible now without changing catalysts :stumped:

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
imported post

To get away from the bad stuff for a minute, do you have a picture of the Rune to show us?

Just because we like looking at pics of peoples bikes.

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
imported post

as far as I know, Maricopa county, in Arizona, is the only place in the US that emission tests motorcycles, so your prob not going to be able to get anything from the US. You might contact Honda and see if they can help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.