1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello all.

Solo here.

Whats the running cost of a goldwing - serviing cost .

So far My piaggio X9 125 Evo cost £60 for a service thats oil change oil filter change. Brake pads £15.00 per set, and tires if needed about £35.00 MG.

so whats the goldwings cost ?

Solo

Thanks

·
I am the Hobo
9,690 Posts
imported post

Hi Solo,

I service my 1800 myself - most of it is pretty simple. I am self taught in mechaniching and I seriously believe you should learn to do it yourself as you learn much more about your bike and how it works. If you are unsure, there are plenty of people in your area happy to help. You met quite afew of them on Sunday.

Oil filter £5.00

Oil £15.00

Thats every 3000 - 4000 miles - ish.

Brake pads about £15 to £20 a set (3 sets)

Air filter about £25 but a real pig to fit ( takes about 4 - 5 hours.

Bridgestones about £85 front and £135 for the rear - get about 10,000 milesout of a pair.

MPG - anything between 30 and 45 depending on how you ride. :)

I go through about 2 full sets of pads and 1 - 2 sets of tyres a year and enjoy every smiling mile of it.:)

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
imported post

Add in the cost of all those projects that dont get done at home, the cost of meals while you explore, the cost of motels because you cant find the right route home at the end of the day...

LOL:cheeky1:

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

Also, when you buy a Goldwing, It comes with a form that gets attached to your will because it will still be rollin' after your dead!:cheeky1:

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

Ya, the thoughts of them fighting over it can put a smile on your face. :clapper::clapper:Especially if you take the key's with you. :action::action::action:

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Solo, the cost of repairs and servicing will also vary depending on which model you might buy, the earlier ones would be cheaper to run generally on parts, but on the other hand would need more maintenance. As Geordiemuppet said if you can get into doing your own work on the bike it would keep the cost way down on having a Honda dealership doing the work for you.

On a positive note, the items GM mentioned along with costs, are about all you will need for service intervals, providing the bike was in good over all shape.

All that said, your nice little X9 was perfectly capable of keeping up on Sunday and even pretty much looked the part.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

From the x9 owners site :

Those figures look a bit optimistic when compared with accounts on the owners site. 30-35mpg touring, tyres every 3000-4000 miles, servicing variable but over £250 for an interim isn't uncommon. Insurance horrendous for a newly qualified rider and they really need a lot of TLC in the UK climate.
One owner imported one from the states and found it suffered badly in our winters and no-one would re-chrome or plate any of the trim parts because they were made of cheap crappy metal and they wouldn't guarantee their work for more than 12 months, so it wasn't worth it. Only one account so probably not typical but anything that trimmed up will require 'Harley' dedication to cleaning.

Also whats the warm up time on the goldwing , the X9 the engin warm up is automatic and takes just 30sec

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

I am a tad confused Solo, is that supposed to be comments about goldwings< because if it is the writer is way off base!!

Fuel mileage is consitently between 35 and 45 on a well fettled Wing, dependant on speed and the tyres last nearer 10-15000 miles.

You will find all this sort of information out with searches of the forums, just by clicking key words in the search box.

I am not sure who made such statements on the site, but he might be well advised to do more thorough research.

One part that is true is that young riders will get stung heavily for insurance, since the minimum sized Wing is a 1000cc, and young riders would struggle to insure anything that size here. I would imagine 24 is the minimum age one could start to get good rates on one and then probably best on one of the older ones and have it on classic insurance, which is normally ecconomical.

a quick inspection of my bike onSunday may have put pay to the myth of"cheap crappy metal that needs re chroming" since half the chrome work is on plastic, though yes indeed any chrome on metal does require some tlc, like Mr Sheen furniture polishto give it that lovely sheen.

Compared to a sports bike ofanydecent size aWing is cheap torun and does not drop in value like a stone in a pond.

I have just bought a 1977 GL1000... no rust, looks nearly as good as the day she was sold and there aren't many sports bikes of that age and condition still kicking about I can tell you.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

It was made by a guy on the X9 site. Dont think they want me to get a wing think they want me to stay with the X9 but there discotinued old scooter, which i wana get away from.
Thanks for the Update ill ignor him

35-45mph i will miss my X9s 70MPG but anything for the best.

Whats the warm up time as i would like to use the wing for all trips, Going to town, goign on trips or nipping to the shop.

the X9 9s 30secs - 1min is this the same with the goldwing

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Not quite sure what you mean by warm up time mate, on a Wing, you pull the choke, turn the key and hit the starter button and off you go. Letting the choke in is better done as you ride as the engine will be better for it than leaving it idling on the driveway.

Sory about the fuel mileage, but again it is way better than most modern sports bikes.

( no choke on the 1800 by the way, fuel injection so it sorts itself out.:)

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

i wouldn't knock the scoot you have, that seemed a very capable machine and things like the Suzuki Burgmann and Honda Silver Wing are hihly spoken of on here and owned by many of our members.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Warm up times means how long till the engine warms up, like if i start mine and pull stright off it will die or struggle as the engine will be cold, the X9 wont move or work on a cold engine.

So i have to wait 30 sec the engine to warm up.

No choke on the 1800 umm i mite go for that wing when i get one, i have heard fule inhected is ment to be good, mine x9 is carbureter.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

I dont mind the scooter i ahve but been discontunied feels like aim riding a old lady, and can only do 80mph

The X9 comes in 125- 250 - 500

i thought about the X9 500 with top speed of 110mph good nice bike but yet still dicontuned line, stoped in 2007.

So iam after something that is still going strong,

If i could keep the X9 range i would but will never live up to a wing.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

X9Travels wrote:
Im going to mke a video thursday about my X9 , if any one intrested in it ?
Just go for it, there is bound to be some interest in seeing your efforts.

·
I am the Hobo
9,690 Posts
imported post

Solo,

No "warm up" time on the 1800, just start it and go - there is 1832 cc and 6 cylinders down there, enough torque to drag it up a wall if the tyres would stick.:)

·
Premium Member
12,790 Posts
imported post

Sure , make a video for us . I dont know much at all about the X9 . Though I do see it's headlamps are related to the funny looking ones on the 1800 Wing :cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

I pay nothing for my serviing
parts are a few bucks, $6 for an A/C, $2 a plug(4) and 99cents for OEM honda oil filters. Tires are about $100 and last several years

I could sell that fancy jacket you're wearing Solo and pay for my wing parts for ten years.

Hey, that's a scooter! We got a few of those around here. The guys think they can keep up with real motorcycles but they can't. I've never rode with one while on the wing but I guess I could if I tied a rope to pull them along. Our sport bikes ripe them up and their little tires can't handle that well in traffic.
Dude, you need to get a motorcycle.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.