Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

Saves buying a GPS :cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

Hey not so fast guys, my wife uses one while we are travelling, for, as was said, GPS, directions, restaurants, whatever. She has a plug right in the side hard pocket just for it. It is about 1/2 the size of a regular laptop. She straps it around her neck just in case she loses it for some reason. We do get a lot of looks when she on. I think she entertains herself with it while travelling as well. Whatever makes them happy orshould I say if she is happy, I'm happy. :D :action:

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
imported post

Actually the reason I bought my laptop was so that I could carry it on the bike. I lead a lot of group rides, and I usually plan out my routes for the GPS on the computer the day before. But a lot of times whenwe get together, we have a change of plans. Someone suggests an alternate destination, or someone suggests an alternate route because such and such road is better. So I thought it would be nice to have the laptop so that I could re-plan the route and download it to my GPS on the spot.

So I bought a used laptop on e-bay.

Well, it seemed like a good idea at the time. The laptop barely fits in the saddle bag so I don't like to force it in there to carry it with me.

But I never had a laptop before so I use it constantly. I love having it.

But I don't carry it on the bike.

Whooda thunk it?

:?:?:?

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
imported post

My laptops got lots of miles on it sittin on the back. No saddlebags, but a pelican case works nicely to keep it dry, clean and padded. All my work is on there, so it's not really a choice when a business trip comes up and there's no snow around. Laptop is easy on the bike. Tower, monitor, power supply, that might be a little tricky. :)

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,722 Posts
imported post

I take my laptop everywhere man. pun intended :cheeky1:

But seriously, I do take it if I am leaving the house for more than a day. Touring, definitely it would go with me.

For a day ride? Probably not. Although I recently acquired a smaller Panasonic Toughbook made just for heavy road use. That one, yeah, think I will. :action:

It even has a handle on the front. Yep, just slip it into the side pockets and off we go.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

there are new mini laptops that go for 350 bucks, easy to get a 12 volt addapter and have it runnin on the bike, some of those mini laptops run un solid state hard drives. so vibration is not a problem you can attach it to the bike and have it running as a gps, music player and anything else you can think about!

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

.... and Ram Mount, do the carriers for them!!!:):)

You can buy power outlets that have a USB plug on them, I am assuming to provide 12 volt power source, Koxx4 has one in his top box, having organised a set up similar to Rudy's recommended method.

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
imported post

there was a uk winger was incorporating a touch screen and a computer on his wing, he was even making moulded units for the screen, not sure if he got it completed

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
imported post

Just bought a 12 to 120v invertor for work, ran my laptop and printer off of it.....so it is possible. Just don't look at the screen while operating the bike. John Q Law don't like it!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.