Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2004 1800 Trike
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, another trike another problem.
Had the fi light on since i bought it and had problem 9 and 24.
Went through all the checks in the clymer and had to buy a new (second hand) ecm which sorted the 9 but the 24 stayed on. Have put another left hand oxygen sensor on but no change.
Took it for a ride and it seems to be lacking any power.
Should mention the exhaust has been butchered and closed of at the right side and just one outlet at the left side and a car silencer added. Took the silencer off and only a little better. Also i believe it sat for ten years.
Is there a way to bypass the sensor and does the wrong or no exhaust make that much difference.
Cheers Bash.

·
Administrator
27,891 Posts
Year model might help but I assume it's an 1800. The code (24) refers to the O2 sensor heater circuit which would not affect performance. A butchered exhaust might though.

·
Premium Member
2004 1800 Trike
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah sorry 2004 and it just has no go in it. If the oxygen sensor doesn't affect performance where should I be looking. Is there anything that would spoil been sat for so long?
Bash

·
Premium Member
2004 1800 Trike
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also only idles around 4 or 5 hundred rpm and stalls quite a lot.

·
Premium Member
2008 GL1800
1,393 Posts
If the right side has been blocked off that's a lot of back pressure added to the left side mods.

·
Administrator
27,891 Posts
Yeah sorry 2004 and it just has no go in it. If the oxygen sensor doesn't affect performance where should I be looking. Is there anything that would spoil been sat for so long?
Bash
It's not the sensor, it's the sensor heater, probably a wiring fault, it will not affect performance. Sitting might have weakened the fuel pump or clogged the inlet screen.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Maybe fuel pressure regulator valve.
I always suspect this valve on 1800s that have been sitting long periods of time.
Have yet to hear from owners what they did to fix this problem on 1800s that have sat unused for a long time.
Most ran great before sitting.
gumbyredd

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,617 Posts
I always suspect this valve on 1800s that have been sitting long periods of time.
Have yet to hear from owners what they did to fix this problem on 1800s that have sat unused for a long time.
gumbyredd
I have only owned one 1800, an '02 and it has sat for over a year during my wife's last days

Never once had a problem with fuel delivery on that one bike.
Back then I only bought Pure Gas for it.

·
Administrator
27,891 Posts
gumbyredd
But I have been working on fuel injection since the early 1980s and have never seen a bad fuel pressure regulator.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Just my thoughts. I have never had problems with fuel injection, or carrburetor bikes either. But do not let Gold Wing sit for long periods of time. Seems like the fiirst thing people want to do is replace the E.C.M., or oxygen sensors. I have never had problems with them either.
gumbyredd

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
How about getting the exhaust sorted as a first step? Who knows what other things you will find in the process.

·
Premium Member
2004 1800 Trike
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No mice in the air filter haha. Waiting for some second hand exhausts to arrive and think i will put some additive in the fuel to see if it cleans her out.
Will report back shortly.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts