Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

my 1800 running hot at slow speeds. during the parade at wingding this year my bike stared to get real hot by the time we got to the park. also during a drill team practice, it got real hot. the temp gauge was pegged out all the to hot. when I get on the highway it runs fine, the temp gauge runs just under halfway mark. both fans are running. coolant is full at the radiator, and also on the full mark on the dipstick on coolant recovery jug. the bike has 38000 miles. and coolant looks clean. at the time it gets hot, other goldwings around me are doing fine on their temps.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I'm not all that informed on the 1800 but does your bike have the radiator fans that blow forward through the radiators instead of pulling air rearward? I seem to remember someone saying that when some early 1800s were run at low speeds the air from forward motion tended to cancel the reverse flow from the fans causing the bike to heat up. That might not be right and someone more knowledgeable about the 1800 will surely come up with something better.

·
Premium Member
1,075 Posts
imported post

That makes sense to me. You might check and see if a mod has been done on your ECM. The early bikes had this as a big problem.

·
Premium Member
1,075 Posts
imported post

And, yes. All 1800's fans blow forward. That's the purpose of the ECM mod. To turn the fans off in second gear or something like that.

·
Administrator
27,776 Posts
imported post

The fans are supposed to go off at above 20mph to keep them from fighting the wind. One thing to check that I can think of right now is look inside the fairing to see if the radiators might be clogged with bugs and debris.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

There is an ECM recall that cures the parade mode overheating and I think it covers up to the 04 models at least. Go to the Buying Used Golwdings page of this site and download the Service Bulletin for all the details.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.