Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

The GL1100 I'm working on has a new problem. I found a short in the running lights wiring that was blowing the fuses. I have fixed the short and when I put the key in the "parking" spot on the ignition switch, I get only the tail light. (no other lights come on)
When I start the bike I only get the headlight. No running lights, no gauge lights. Turn signals work, brake lights work.

After reading the wiring schematic, the only placeI can see a possible problem would be in the ignition switch itself.

Any ideas on where else I should look?

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

If it is the ignition, you can easily check this with a meter. Assuming that the earth wire is okay, you can take the easy way out and just splice the + wire going to the running lights into the headlamp dipped beam wire.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

The ignition switch has checked out and there is no faults in it. When I turn the switch to "run" I get power to all fuses except the "running light" fuse.
I know that when you push the starter button, it should turn "off" the power to everything so the starter has enough power to start the motor.
Now I'm wondering what makes the power turn off momentarily and could it be faulty and not allow the running lights to turn on.
Yes, I could put a jumper wire in the fuse box and fix the problem. (but that looks really tacky and is hard to explain when you sell the bike)

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

When you push the starter button the running light still stay on, the headlight and radio etc go out. I suppose the only proper way is to run a new piece of wire from the ignition to the fuse.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

I have been told ( by a mechanic) that there is a relay switch that does turn the power off to the lights when you start the engine. He couldn't remember if it turn the running light off. Since I do have power to the lights if I use a jumper wire from one fuse to another, I'll replace that unit. If all else fails ...... I guess it's jumper wire time.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

The starter switch kills the power to the headlight relay, which kills the headlights. The running lights don't run through the same relay so should stay on when the starter is pressed. I think it's done that way so that the bike is still visible at night when you start the engine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.