Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Here's one for you all. We have a 93 1500SE and have a recurrent problem.
The "Running Lights Relay" keeps burning out. Originally, the relay case melted - so I pulled the 4 wires out, soldered new wire after cutting off the burned ends and extended them so I could plug in a new relay outside the relay box. (Which is a pain to get too) Still having the problem - about once a year.
I don't have additional lights on that relay - and the trailer runs through it's own relay.
The dealer (Mechanic) said he has seen a lot of these - and Honda has not issued a recall or fix it notice.
Does anyone have any ideas please?
One would think that Honda would address this situation. This is my 5th GW and I love the 1500 (being over 6' tall and needing the leg room)
I am mechanically inclined, having rebuilt/repaired many Wings - and I do have the full service manual...

Attachments

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

What running lights are you referring to?
The built ins or some add ons?

The built ins can be solved by using a second heavy relay between the Honda relay and the lamps. Let the Honda relay drive just the coil of the heavy relay and then let that relay power the lamps.

If they are high wattage add ons like mine are, I drive each lamp with its own relay and parallel the two coils together. That way each relay is never really stressed at the contacts.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

That makes some sense. I only have a few clearance lights (low wattage) mounted in the lower spoiler. The mechanic suggested the same sort of thing and odered a heavier relay. He also said if I wanted to really take the time, isolate half of the loads on that relay (reverse, rear lights etc.) and run an additional relay.
I was hoping for a majic cure so I didn't have to break into the wiring.
Thanks for your input...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.