Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 21 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have this issue with these lights,left is not working,bulb good,signal works but light is out.
photo ,top,running light out,bottom ,signal is on,
mine is registered as classic vehicle and not supposed to be daily driver so if I were ever stopped I would explain that I was taking it for repair but I just need to get it fixed cause it’s there so it needs to work.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,910 Posts
I won't insult you by asking if you checked the bulb. :) The circuit is actually a little complicated so I will list what and where you need.
When the turn lights are not active you should have power at the light bulb socket on the orange wire with the white stripe. (OR/WH) Do you?
How about at the turn light switch OR/WH? Power there?
Power should flow from the turn light switch to the bulb via the OR/ WH wire, through the bulb and to ground. The ground should be OK as it shares the ground with the turn light and it works.
If you have power at the bulb socket OR/WH the issue is the socket etc. Stop reading. You found the issue. If no power read on.
Do you have no power coming from the turn light switch OR/WH wire? If no power there the switch might well be bad.
Do these 2 tests and get back to us. Don't forget the key must be on and the turn lights off.:)

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Redwing52, I really haven’t been in there to look,the signal works so power must be on org/ whit,?
ill keep your reply for when I get in there,tks

·
Premium Member
5,910 Posts
Redwing52, I really haven’t been in there to look,the signal works so power must be on org/ whit,?
ill keep your reply for when I get in there,tks
Tex,
If you look closer you should see the turn light wire is just OR. The running light is OR/WH. Probably have to look close for the white stripe. Especially if your sight is as bad as mine... :)

·
Premium Member
5,910 Posts
Might be as simple as a contact inside the socket being dirty where the contact touches the bulb. A small piece of sandpaper can get in there if you have to clean the contact(s) Then flush with contact cleaner. You can probe for power at the contacts if that is easier. :)

·
Administrator
24,994 Posts
The bulb might be bad on the position light side and good on the turn signal side.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bulb is good,it’s been like this for a while,I moved the bulbs from side to side last time I had it apart

·
Premium Member
3,504 Posts
mine is registered as classic vehicle and not supposed to be daily driver so if I were ever stopped I would explain that I was taking it for repair
I can't help you with the light anymore than others already have, but reading this took me back to a time I was working midnight shift and it was the night after a Bristol NASCAR race, pickup pulling a camper goes by northwards, no sign of lights on the trailer, so I stopped it. No brake lights either. As I walked up to the driver's door to tell him his lights were out, I noticed the trailer plug was wrapped around the tongue jack. He acted real surprised when I told him his trailer lights were out, he said he'd fix them at the next exit. I suggested he look at it, might be something simple like a plug fell out, so we walked back, he looked under the truck, made a good show, but there was not even a plug on the truck. It was a fun stop ... for one of us.

·
Administrator
58,404 Posts
I can't help you with the light anymore than others already have, but reading this took me back to a time I was working midnight shift and it was the night after a Bristol NASCAR race, pickup pulling a camper goes by northwards, no sign of lights on the trailer, so I stopped it. No brake lights either. As I walked up to the driver's door to tell him his lights were out, I noticed the trailer plug was wrapped around the tongue jack. He acted real surprised when I told him his trailer lights were out, he said he'd fix them at the next exit. I suggested he look at it, might be something simple like a plug fell out, so we walked back, he looked under the truck, made a good show, but there was not even a plug on the truck. It was a fun stop ... for one of us.
Let me guess,
he went home with a nice, warm citation... and you grounded him right there with no further travel, unless you followed him to the next exit, and chained the trailer to something.

·
Premium Member
3,504 Posts
Let me guess,
he went home with a nice, warm citation... and you grounded him right there with no further travel, unless you followed him to the next exit, and chained the trailer to something.
Not right there on the interstate.

It was funny watching him look for a place to plug it in (I first thought he had just forgot to plug it in, but it became evident as he made a show of looking for a place).

Next exit had a nice truck stop (still does too) with 24 hour shop and camp ground out back on a hill side and a fine breakfast buffet in Berky's resturaunt. Bobby (truck stop owner) has since bought White's up at Raphine and made it a big show place too. He's added a campground up there with creek ... and a medical center staffed 24 hours too.

But I digress.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well today,my right position light was out and the left was on,seems i recall that this happened before? Huum?
I pulied my 53 foot trailer with my Freightliner near all day and it started to get dark and looking back I had no lights,pulled over and I had never plugged the pigtail in,that was before pre trip was mandatory,I guess I just got attracted to something and forgot to plug it in,interesting no other trucker never said anything on the cb.

·
Premium Member
3,504 Posts
Well today,my right position light was out and the left was on,seems i recall that this happened before? Huum?
I seldom am looking at the front lights when signals are on left or right, but I think the position lights are affected, like go out with signal or something, might be in turn signal / flasher switch. On my 1200, the bulb closest to head light was position bulb, the further one was signal. On my old truck with dual filament bulbs, the ground to the right front was weak and the running light was grounding back through the turn signal bulb when the right signal was used, I just got a weak light. I know, not a F150, but grounds through signal switches cause goofy things if not sound.

·
Premium Member
5,910 Posts
I pulied my 53 foot trailer with my Freightliner near all day and it started to get dark and looking back I had no lights,pulled over and I had never plugged the pigtail in,that was before pre trip was mandatory,I guess I just got attracted to something and forgot to plug it in,interesting no other trucker never said anything on the cb.
That really sounds like a dirty switch...Try working it back and forth a couple hundred times and see if something changes.

·
Administrator
24,994 Posts
If sometimes it's one side then sometimes the other it might be the position light relay or the position light switch in the turn signal switch.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Dave,your just AWSOME,when the right signal is activated,the left position light stays on,when the left signal is activated the right position lighe stays on.
I took the cluster off and sprayed it good with contact cleaner ,let dry,sprayed it with lubricant but the issue is still the same so I suspect the next step is the relay,is on the left side cluster of relays?

·
Premium Member
5,910 Posts
Dave,your just AWSOME,when the right signal is activated,the left position light stays on,when the left signal is activated the right position lighe stays on.
I took the cluster off and sprayed it good with contact cleaner ,let dry,sprayed it with lubricant but the issue is still the same so I suspect the next step is the relay,is on the left side cluster of relays?
That is the way it is supposed to work. The idea is the side that you chose goes from blinking to dark for more contrast/visibility.
Relay #7 under the left bag could be the issue. It is a normally closed relay so be sure to get the right one if you do replace it. .

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Redwing,I may have mistated,like I said how the light works BUT when one comes on ,one stays off,vice versa,

·
Administrator
24,994 Posts
Almost has to be the relay in that case.

·
Administrator
24,994 Posts
That is the way it is supposed to work. The idea is the side that you chose goes from blinking to dark for more contrast/visibility.
Relay #7 under the left bag could be the issue. It is a normally closed relay so be sure to get the right one if you do replace it. .
It took me a while of head scratching to figure out how that all works & I decided the wiring diagrams must be wrong before it finally cleared up for me. It was way simpler before self cancelling signals came along.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok ,I think I have some new relays
Redwing,they are never both on at the same time,they are on depending on whether I signal turn left or right.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Almost has to be the relay in that case.
I have actually been chasing this for years,I had all the fairing pieces trying to find bad connectors but I just live with it,thanks👍👍

1 - 21 of 42 Posts