Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last Summer I added a set of lower running lights to my 1996 Aspencade, during a refurb and while I didn't run into any issues during the upgrade, I have an issue now. The LED lights continually go off and on for short periods of time and not at the same time. It will do this in the garage with the engine running also. It appears to me that it is a possible heat problem.
Hoping someone has an idea before I start tearing the front of the bike apart.
Thanks

Attachments

·
Pwhoever
3,217 Posts
I'm assuming they plugged right into OEM connectors when you installed them. Have you noticed any other issues such as gas gauge not working sometimes or rear tail/running lights going out?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm assuming they plugged right into OEM connectors when you installed them. Have you noticed any other issues such as gas gauge not working sometimes or rear tail/running lights going out?
Mark, thanks for answering, I did plug into the OEM plug, but have not noticed or look for any issues on the rear, but will check that out. Gas gauge is fine.
Thanks again

·
Registered
20 Posts
Make sure all the other lights are working correctly? Maybe the plug goes heat up and the complete power supply didn't pass through the connectors.

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Where do you live? What air temperatures are you experiencing?

So you used the OEM harness but jumpered the harness to provide full time running lights, not cornering lights in unison with the directional lights. What brand kit did you use? Did it come with LED bulbs or was it a halogen bulb kit with replacement LED bulbs? When did this start happening?

One thing I found with the Hondaline kits as well as the aftermarket kits is the design is somewhat poor. Getting the tab on the bulb lined up correctly as well as the tab on the socket aligned and all in place was often uncooperative. The stock bulbs (both the halogen driving lights and incandescent cornering lights) are dual filament even though only one is used. The dual filament has two contacts on the bottom and it's easy to get the socket in between and the bulbs to not work or blink with any movement.

·
Premium Member
3,776 Posts
Candoitoo.(Jim).....Found the problem (with some help).....!!!!

Mike and others, thank you for your responses. I did tear the bike apart and found the issue. The Chinese soldering job on both positive wires and was almost non-existent and therefore would not hold contact with the bulb. I added solder and wala the problem was solved. Again thanks for everyone's responses, this site and you guys are awesome. Be safe out there!
Jim Kohorn

1 - 7 of 7 Posts