Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

:?I noticed the other day, how much travel is eaten up by the wieght of the trike on the fork travel. I had watched a video from a Goldwing specialty fork/suspension company. The video made me curious. I put 10 lbs. of air in, instead of 6, and the ride was MUCH improved. My mirrors even shook less.?? I am going to put a new Metzler front tire on tomorrow, if I can find some tire irons somewhere in town on Sunday. I am wondering why just a tad more air made such a huge improvement? I have always had a front tirecupping problem, most noticable on the left side of center. (Trike) I was hoping it was just the E-3. Now I'm wondering if the forks are needing something. I keep thefork oil clean, and the forks don't have any slop front to back, side to side. No leaks yet. I know running too much air is asking for trouble, but dang it rides so much smoother! Wadda ya think? jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
imported post

i ride with more than that in my sei,,,,, at least the guage says so

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
imported post

A little extra air won't hurt anything but don't go crazy or the next time you hit a big pothole you'll damage the fork seals.

If you haven't changed the fork springs, you might want to put in a set of Progressive springs. They are made to work without air but air can be added in small increments for an even firmer ride.

I scoffed at other wingers for doing so (thought it was just one of those things to spend money on like premium gasoline, iridium sparkplugs, 3,000 mile oil changes, etc.) but my bike slowly got to where it was unpleasant to ride and wallowed like a pig in mud. I put Progressives and 15 wt. fork oil in and was amazed at how much better the bike rode - just like when it was new.

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
imported post

Spondulas;

If your bike 'slowly' got to where it was unpleasant to handle, then I would assume at one time with the factory springs, it worked just fine. So had you replaced the springs with 'new' stock springs, you would've been back to 'just fine' again.

I put progressives on and noticed no difference except for a little more firmness I had when the originals were stronger. The only reason I put them in is my buddy took his out and gave them to me and went back to the OEM's somebody gave him. I might have to rate the Progressives up there with Iridiums and 3,000 mile oil changes...oh and for 'no extras' guy like me...compu-fire.

I just want to explain what we based our opinion of Progressives on. I'll give you some fictional values here,

Stock, you have a 12" tube with pretty much (OEM) 12" springsthat are strong and work great. Say the spring steel diameter is 3/16" with a 1/4" gap between coils when installed. This gives you a movement ratio (when tightened down) before all the springs touch and bottom out (Let's assume there are 12 coils in the spring) we have a 3" movement of the spring before bottoming out. You are relying on the tension the OEM springs are giving back. I guess they give the maximum compressionunder normal conditions would be 2", allowing1" before bottoming out. Hence adding the air if you go to a heavier load temporarily and this would all be to keep the springs from bottoming out.

Now youchange to progressives. They are about the same diameter spring wire but add 6' to it, very impressive when installing before you realize how much extra metal you're putting in the tube.

Here is what wecame across as the problem. You've decreased the gap betweeneach coil once it's installed. This is all good until the springs start to weaken over time (same as the OEM's).

The OEM's get weak and mushy over time.

The Progressives start to bottom out over time.

I know there are people with proggressives out there that swear by them and god bless you if you're happy. This is just somethingi've come across over the yearsandmy own opinion. I tried to explain as best as I could why I came to the conclusion I did.

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
imported post

Predator - I agree that at one time the ride was acceptable and would probably have been again with OEM springs AND keeping air in the front forks. However, I was able to put in the Progressive springs and add new oil for substantially less cost than just the OEM springs would have been. I have a firmer ride than before without any air and the ability to improve it even more with the addition of air. Those two factors made my decision right for me. The original poster was increasing air pressure to improve ride and I offered an alternative.

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
imported post

Spondulas wrote:
The original poster was increasing air pressure to improve ride and I offered an alternative.
Oh yeah, I understood your post and didn't mean to be arguing my point. Just like yours, mine was also an observation and experience, nothing more.

Al

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

Increasing the fill levels (decreasing the air volume) in the forks can offer similar changes. Changing to a heavier weight fork oil may also help, but would also slow the extension of your forks (where the air acts asymetrically)..

·
New Guy
791 Posts
imported post

our first 1500 was an '89 (bought new in '89) that i put about 30k miles on; our second 1500 (current) is a '95 that i've put about 20k miles on. both bikes have always had much greater than recommended pressure in the front forks, both have taken hits in potholes, etc, neither have suffered any apparent damage. neither bike experienced premature wear / patterns in tires, which i run @ recommended pressure.

ymmv.

·
Premium Member
1,262 Posts
imported post

I simply must get over my worries of air pressure......this after post traumatic stress disorder from my 1100......that had max pressures much higher, and ended up with a bad case of the bandana on the fork syndrome. . I am running zero with OEM springs. The bike is handling really well actually......but I'm new to the fifteen. I never did get a hand pump to add the small amount of air to the forks. In reading some reports of higher pressures in the forks I will add at least the 6LBS

Say, I'm wondering where to get a good hand pump I can count on. (not to march in on the thread) I asked about it before but can't find it.

RED

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
imported post

man im i glad to posted this one mr jimsjinx. i was going to ask....but didnt.
i've been having handling problems since i've had my bike (5yrs) after new progressives/up to 40wt oil, and about a month ago i also discovered running more air in the front shocks made the most difference. handle completely different. 12psi for me!

·
Premium Member
3,774 Posts
imported post

Thebigred1: Any sporting goods store (cycling dept). or bicycle shop probably even Wal-mart will carry a good hand pump.

·
Premium Member
1,262 Posts
imported post

Thanks friend. I was hoping for one with a gauge on it because I don't know of one that can measure that low. I used to have one for my ATV that measured that low because the tires only had five pounds of air in them. But seems to me just checking the air pressure would reduce it with such a small amount of air volume in the forks. I'll look for a pump with a dial built in.

RED

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.