Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I have read on the forum about installing a lighter. I'm planning on putting one on the right side of GL1200 (1985) in the hole that is there. I'm going to connect the positive to the positive terminal on the fuse box and put a 5A inline fuse. I'll also run the negative to the negative terminal there also. (I'm not at this time, going to take the time to run it all the way to the battery.)

My question, how do i get the wires into the fuse box area? I think I just have to drill a hole in the plastic near the fork and run the wires through there into the fuse area. Is there another way?

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
imported post

1st.
If you are a smoker, run it off the battery with an in line fuse. 5A acc fuse will not work.
Remove your seat and top cowl and R pocket above where you are going mount it to route the wires. No drilling should be required.

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

Thanks. I forgot to say, I'm just planning on charging my iPhone. I should have said I'm installing a lighter port.

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
imported post

the acc. screws, on the top of the fuse box, have a maximum of 5amps and is already through a fuse.

it may be prudent to run the the socket through a relay, which is connected directly to the battery, and use the acc screws, to trip the relay when the ignition is turned on.

this will take care of any overloading the acc screws.

I also put a handlebar switch on so that I can turn the socket off when not required.

my socket is placed, just above the right hand locked pocket, I had to drill a hole, to place it there and I took the leads from the relay, under the seat, up the right hand frame, drilled a small hole in the side of the pocket, and was able to access the socket from there.

good luck,

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
imported post

Jalamiller wrote:
Thanks. I forgot to say, I'm just planning on charging my iPhone. I should have said I'm installing a lighter port.
OK on that, not much draw for charging.

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

Ok, what did I screw up now?
In doing this install (see previous posts), now my clock is blinking and I can't change the time.

Did I short something? Everything else seems to work.

I just ran the two wires from the lighter plug to the ACC terminals and screwed them on. However, I did run the battery down by leaving the key to ACC, possibly while I was working on things(?). I don't think I shorted anything, but maybe created an issued just hooking the wires (+ -) to the ACC fuse panel with the key on. But, I can't remember if I had the key on at that time.

I got up to ride it to work this morning and had a low battery, not dead. Now I have disconnected the wires from the new plug to both the positive and negative ACC terminals on the fuse box, but the clock still blinks.

Also, when I tried to start the bike, I heard a clicking noise through the speakers, which I never heard before. What did I screw up? (I have a trip on Friday.) (See the picture of my install job.)

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.