Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm installing a amateur radio on a 86 SEi and I've got the transceiver mounted in left saddle bag but I need to run 4 cables (power, separation cable, PTT cable, antenna coax) and don't want to drill to many holes if any in the saddle bag walls. I need to keep the transceiver in the saddle bag to stay dry but not too sure about drilling 1 bigger hole or 2 smaller holes. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
3,725 Posts
Use a hole saw and cut one round hole. Then cut three disc of plastic, one being same diametter as hole you just cut, and two some bigger. Assemble the three and drill a single screw hole and assemble them stacked. Then drill two / three / or 4 holes as needed so all pass through the three disc but miss the screw in center holding them together. Now dissasemble the three and notch each hole to an edge .... but different for each hole in center smaller disc versus larger outer disc.

Mark "top" for each.

Place radio, run wires, bring through hole in saddle bag, have couplings on each so they can be disconected (as there will be times when this saddlebag must be removed for service) and then simply assemble the three disc around the cables / wires with a parge disc inside bag, a large one outside, and the smaller disc sandwiched between them filling the hole.

The slots you cut in different directions will allow you to slip cables into place in each disc and the slots should overlap going in different routes to edges. Screw with nylock nut will keep disc together. Silicone won't hurt to seal and is easily pealed off and redone in future service.

Just a suggestion. :waving:

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm pretty good ideal CP.. I was thinking about using rubber grommets (1 larger one). I think I will use the idea of the larger plastic disc and use it to hold the original peice back in when I remove the radio gear someday.. I'll take a look at your idea closer. Thanks

John

·
Premium Member
3,725 Posts
Hmm pretty good ideal CP.. I was thinking about using rubber grommets (1 larger one). I think I will use the idea of the larger plastic disc and use it to hold the original peice back in when I remove the radio gear someday.. I'll take a look at your idea closer. Thanks

John
Kind of like an Oreao Cookie with the inner and outers being the dark cookie and the original plastic or smaller hole size disc being the filling.

Hope it helped .... was my intention and it'ld be easy to fill with a solid center disc if you sold it or whatecver.

:waving:

·
Premium Member
8,242 Posts
Very good idea.

·
The Irish Crew
1,248 Posts
All good ideas. I'd probably go with a large rubber grommet so as to better seal out the rain.

·
Valkyrie Scum
2,777 Posts
I'm installing a amateur radio on a 86 SEi and I've got the transceiver mounted in left saddle bag but I need to run 4 cables (power, separation cable, PTT cable, antenna coax) and don't want to drill to many holes if any in the saddle bag walls. I need to keep the transceiver in the saddle bag to stay dry but not too sure about drilling 1 bigger hole or 2 smaller holes. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Doesn't the right side bag already have a hole in it? Any problem with going right instead of left? That's where I mounted a stereo amp on my 1996 to keep from drilling holes.

·
Premium Member
3,725 Posts
Doesn't the right side bag already have a hole in it? Any problem with going right instead of left? That's where I mounted a stereo amp on my 1996 to keep from drilling holes.

He is putting the radio in a '86 GL1200 .... no factory hole. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.