Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

in the process of changing rear tire I took off mufflers and decided to start the engine and it absolutly blew me away , it sounds great!! My ? is would it hurt to run my bike without mufflers just turn down tips on the crossoever canister?

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

I'm picturing burnt exhaust valves here without adequate back pressure. But exhaust systems aren't my area.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Hi Rudy, there would be some back pressure considering the distance from the heads plus the crossover and the turn downs but would it be enough I guess thats the ?. But it probaly doesn't matter now anyway my wife just heard me rapping the pipes in my shop and said she won't ride with me on a noisy bike (her words). I thought it sounded rightous. Oh well

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

I'd say if you had a long enough pipe since several of the Harley riders I know run straight pipes and have no valve issues. If you run much without pipes (header only) I'd cap off the ends to prevent much return air flow after shut down.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

i've seen a couple of wings running with straight pipes with long miles. though to me it doesn't sound that cool. i would add a harley muffler to give it another sound!

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
imported post

On Harleys, intake or exhaust changes usually mean carb rejetting.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

You'd get some mixture imbalance toward the lean side due to the slightly improved breathing but it shouldn't be enought to damage anything. It would sure be obnoxious though.

·
Premium Member
4,040 Posts
imported post

mountainman wrote:
Hi Rudy, there would be some back pressure considering the distance from the heads plus the crossover and the turn downs but would it be enough I guess thats the ?. But it probaly doesn't matter now anyway my wife just heard me rapping the pipes in my shop and said she won't ride with me on a noisy bike (her words). I thought it sounded rightous. Oh well
wise wife :cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
imported post

This sounds like a great idea to me but that just my rebel side coming out. I would say a plug chop would show up if the mixture was on the lean side.
I understand it was standard practice the weld in a washer into the throat of the tail pipe of a staight through pipe to act as a bit of pressure and keep the noise at low revs a but more pleasing to old folk. The real loud bit then kicked in once fully open.

This worked on two strokes when removing the baffles and trying to make that FISE do 40 mph!. That my age showing again.

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

This is from experience.
You will get too much after burn.
popping and backfiring on deceleration and that cool sound you hear will be very anoying in a few hours.

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

Maybe I missed it but which bike are you working on??

Anyway. I run a 4 into 1 header with a very UN-Restricted single muffler on a 1000. It does not require re-jetting. It does require a bit of richening of the idle circuit but that can be accomplished with just the mix screws. From what I understand you are describing you are talking about a very short system. That would concern me more than the lack of backpressure. Straight pipes will run and not damage anything but sound like crap to me. A short system tunning is completely different than a long system and I do not know if the potential exists for any engine damage.I would think a short system would be much safer for the enginewith some backpressure to maintain the exhaust pulse integrity.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Sorry I didn't say but I'm working on a 89' 1500, now just to be clear it currently has 6 header pipes that dump into a large cannister just in front of the rear tire. As far as the sound, it's beauty in the eye of the beholder or rider in this case. Truly if you haven't heard a 1500 with the mufflers removed I think you'd be as surprised as I was. Very cool low end rumble and at least 50% throttle response increase

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
imported post

A few years ago,when on a poker run,this guy with his wife on board,shows up on a Valkyrie with six straight pipes and oh what a absolutely beautiful sound. When he left one of the card stops he took it up to redline in the first three gears,sounded like Hondas old six's from the 60's Grand Prix bikes. :waving:

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
imported post

If you want to do it without rejetting consider just lopping off the silencers on the ends, makes a nice throaty noise without it being too loud.

I had a VMax before this wing, ran an open pipe (no baffles) for 1/4 miles and it gave me a screaming headache between the open pipes and the separate K&Ns running on the downdraft carbs.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
imported post

Personally, I ride a wing for the quietness of it. I love the fact that I don't have my ears blasted out by loud pipes. People can ride with me and not complain about the noise. I can ride by a cop without getting his complete attention. I can hear my tunes. I don't have to wear earplugs. And, I am perfectly legal.

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
imported post

I don't think you would risk any engine damage by leaving the collector on.

My 1500 had aftermarket mufflers on it when I bought it. The sound was fun for a SHORT while, 1 up riding. I then replaced them with stock mufflers.

John

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

i thought you were talking about ur 1100, but if you're talking about the 1500.. MAN IT sounds amazzzzing! yea

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

Well I just got my rear tire back on and took a short ride alone. Bike sounded amazing unbelievable power increase! But I do enjoy the quite ride of the Wing and the company of my lovely wife so today the mufflers go back on, well maybe one more ride on the screamin demon.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.