Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

hey all, I'm fearing the worst here but any help would be really appreciated..

I rebuilt the carbs in my 77 gl1000 last spring. had the bike running smoothly all last summer and into this summer.. It rained like mad last night and half the cover blew off. went to start the bike and thought it was just burning off the water on the pipes but I think it was smoke and itsmelled bad too...

now it will start and run for a little bit then it just quits. no matter if it's revving up, down or idling. after it quits it won't start for a few minutes then it will start again and do the same thing... no smoke though, sounds the same as it always has. just won't stay running.

plugs look okay

fuel pump is working

fuel lines are clear

not sure what to do next other than bring it to a shop...

thanks for any help!

dave

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
imported post

Could a little water have gotten in the tank?Maybe drain the fuel bowls and let a little extra gas out of the tank.Since water is heavier than gas it will be the first thing out.

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
imported post

Ya what tarzan said I think your OK I think I would try draining your float bowls and try it again

·
Administrator
26,937 Posts
imported post

Did you pull the plug boots and look for water in the plug wells?

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

You guys nailed it. drained the float bowls and it runs mint! can't thank you enough for the quick help!

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
imported post

Just a question about your problem and solution, how does water get into a seemingly sealed fuel system? Did you leave the gas cap off?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.