Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

84 Aspy. Here's my problem. With about 120 to 130 miles showing on the trip meter, When you start her up first thing in the morning, it will start immediately run for a minute and then start tocough stutter and run out of gas. After adding as little as as a quarter gallon she will fire back up and run perfect until i get to the gas station (5-10miles). At the station it takes only 2.5 +or- gals to completely fill the tank. If I start out with a full tank I can run almost 200 miles non stop no problem. Any suggestions? Thankyou

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

gkiesel wrote:
84 Aspy. Here's my problem. With about 120 to 130 miles showing on the trip meter, When you start her up first thing in the morning, it will start immediately run for a minute and then start tocough stutter and run out of gas. After adding as little as as a quarter gallon she will fire back up and run perfect until i get to the gas station (5-10miles). At the station it takes only 2.5 +or- gals to completely fill the tank. If I start out with a full tank I can run almost 200 miles non stop no problem. Any suggestions? Thankyou
Fuel pump, fuel filter maybe? Junk in the tank, obstructed fuel system...

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
imported post

Last week I took the tank from my 83 GL1100A to a local shop to have it steamed but ended up having it re-sealed because the inside was so bad. I had them cut open the bottom of the tank and remove the pickups and the filter screen. I was surprised at how much junk was in the bottom of the tank by the pickup screen. There was about a 1/2 cup of rust, metal chips and other stuff (mostly stuck to the bottom that need to be scrapped off).

Hope that isn't your problem. Maybe you just need a new fuel filter.I like the clear glass filters with the replaceable filter screen inside. It has a faster flow rate than the OEM filters so that may help if it is a fuel flow issue.

This is probably the cheapest thing to try first

-Brandon

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
imported post

Make sure the fillercap is venting as well and that the fuel pump is working properly.

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

When it cuts out you need to check for fuel in the line at the carbs. If there is none then check the pump for blockage and work your way back from there.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Sounds to me like the pump may not be working, these bikes will gravity feed until the fuel level drops to about half full. Pull the fuel line off the carb, point it at a bucket and see how much fuel the pump delivers.

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

exavid wrote:
Sounds to me like the pump may not be working, these bikes will gravity feed until the fuel level drops to about half full. Pull the fuel line off the carb, point it at a bucket and see how much fuel the pump delivers.
Here's an old post made new again. Tested the fuel pump, jumped it from a separate battery. The pump runs but guess what? nothing comes out. Swapped out the fuel pump(those buggers are expensive), and she starts right up and even seems to idle better. Thanks to all for the help. george.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Glad you found your problem!:clapper:

·
Banned
85 Posts
imported post

gkiesel wrote:
Here's an old post made new again. Tested the fuel pump, jumped it from a separate battery. The pump runs but guess what? nothing comes out. Swapped out the fuel pump(those buggers are expensive), and she starts right up and even seems to idle better. Thanks to all for the help. george.
Debris in the check valves, the pump has two flat rubber check valves and a tiny bit of debris will cause them to lose seal.

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Hi Racerx, How would one go about cleaning said check valves? The pump does not appear to be repairable. Thanks

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

You could try flushing the pump with a little light oil and gently applied compressed air. Don't try to blow backwards through the pump, apply the air nozzle near the intake side of the pump. You could apply some spray such as WD into the outlet side first to try to backflush the flappers.

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Thanks Exavid, I was just curious. I bought a new pump, the old one lasted 22 years, so I should be good for a while. thanks.

·
Banned
85 Posts
imported post

Ive taken them apart by unrolling the crimp, but they are tough to reassemble without leaking. Sidecutters can be used to unroll the seam between the pump case halves.

Compresed air cannot be applied to either inlet or outlet without blowing the opposite check valve out - they work opposing each other.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

The check valves operate in the same direction. The inlet valve lets the fuel enter the pump and the outlet pump lets the stuff out. Same thing as an outboard squeeze bulb except you have to the squeezing instead of an electric or mechanically powered diaphragm. If there's crud in the outlet valve it's possible that a squirt of WD into the inlet might dislodge it. If the valve is closed it won't do anything but it won't hurt any thing either. A spritz into the inlet might do the trick too. I said that you want to use any air nozzle a distance away from the inlet so thatthe valves wouldn't get an overpressure. The valves aren't all that puny either they are designed to withstand whatever fuel pressure the particular pump delivers plus a good bit.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.