Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Just took my 78 Gl1000 in to have the carbs serviced, and they checked the tank for rust first, rather than dive into the carbs (smart). Turns out there is sediment.

They said i could put an acid treatment in, let it sit, and siphon it out a few times to clean it, then just change fuel filters 2x a year until ideally, removing the tank to clean and re-line. That is a load of work i'm not into doing.

Suggestions?

·
Registered
177 Posts
imported post

MagI read somewhere but not sure where, about an airplane additive for their tanksfor this condition, that is all I know. I will search my mental computer and let you know.

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

It's actually not too hard to remove the tank. It comes out from the rear after removing the rear wheel, fender, plastic inner fender, rear brake master cyliner and caliper, fuel petcock, battery box unbolted and moved to the side, and fake tank frame unbolted (4 bolts at the bottom) and moved up to clear the filler-neck.

Don't forget to disconnect the connectors on top of the tank.

After that it's a matter of putting some BB's and rust remover(or acid treatment)in and shaking the heck out of the tank until the rust is knocked off. Then you can treat it with some kind of coating. Keep in mind that there are fine-mesh screens surrounding both fuel intake tubes and you don't want to clog those up with some kind of thick goop.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.