Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi there!

I have a project for the winter and I was wondering how to clean up a fuel tank? Bike has been sitting for a couple of years and there is diffenently rust in the tank. Does anyone know what I need to do to have clean gas to start with??I will remove the tank and empty but where do I go from there??

Thanks Scotto

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
3,485 Posts
imported post

Scotto, this is mainly a bump to get you back to the top! Do a search as this question has been asked before several times. Mine had a bad case of rust so I replaced it rather than trying to remove the rust. Also if the 1100 is simular to the 1200,,,, It's definitly an experiance to remove and replace the tank in one of these Beasties!!!!:p

·
Premium Member
1,356 Posts
imported post

Scotto
This has been talked about a number of times and if you do a search you should be able to find something.
I know MDKramer did a post and a lot of research on a product I think it's rusteco that I hear works great.
Good luck

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

There are basically four ways..take it to a radiator shop and they will clean it for you and then seal it with POR15 or similar product yourself or have it plated with nickel.

Use muriatic acid and then seal it, POR 15

Or electrolysis and seal it.

Somebuddy had another product Rust??? $300 for 5Gals.?? but reusable "forever"??? he swears by it.. no sealer needed.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
imported post

I have the same problem and I'm planning to use a product called Evapo-Rust made by Harris International Labs here is an old phone number 888-329-9877. It works great but it needs time to work not just a pour in and out. Price I paid was about $10 a quart. Got it at AutoZone when they were selling it not sure if they still do. Great thing is it is non-toxic, no fumes, environmentally safe and keeps the rust gone. But I still plan to seal mine too. I just got a basket case 1982 Interstate and a not so basket case 84 from the same guy. He let these poor bikes just rot in the lawn under tarps. How I be riding in the spring??

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

I'll second the POR 15, have used it on last two rusted tanks

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thanks to everyone for the info. I will think this over and proceed !!!:stumped:

Scotto

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

With other bikes I cleaned tanks with caustic and acid in the past. The caustic only removes rust.

However, I decided to buy a really nice clean GL1100 tank off Ebay; cheap $50

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.