Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Hello, Just got this engine delivered here to AL. GL1200 and was going to swapwith my engine on my 84. However when the engine arrived I found thecrank shaft couldn't be turned over. I noticed that the left intake ports had what looked like dirt or sand in them. Turned out to be a dirt dobber nest. That had got wet and the dirt or mud got into the cylinder. That was the reason the engine crank wouldn't turn. I have now pulled the head on the left and removed all the crud but noticed the cylinder wall is pitted from rusting in the area that was covered with the mud. My question is, has anyone seen this before and is there a way to fix this. Only the leftfront cylinder is this way. I tried to buff the wall with fine sand paper and oil. And even tried a wire brush. Does this mean I will have to find another engine or will it run for a while. Help, Thanks Tom:?

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

Thanks to everyone for the advice on the cylinder problem. Where does everyone get their head gaskets. I see them on eBay but wonder if they are available elsewhere. Will let you know how it works out. Thanks, Tom in AL

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

Hey Yall, Thanks to everyone and you too John, I'll get back to you after 90 to 100k miles. Tom

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.