Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Good morning people, hope you all done Sunday mass this morning. I did, because my 1200 is still offa the road so I had no excuse to miss it!
Anyway, now that my wheels are out etc (Jason is doing the job), I am wondering what I can use to paint on the insides of my exhausts (the invisible part when the bike is assembled) to keep the rust away. I've already cleaned it all up ready and waiting. Will Hammerite do forexhausts?

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Eamonn1200 wrote:
Good morning people,I am wondering what I can use to paint on the insides of my exhausts (the invisible part when the bike is assembled) to keep the rust away. I've already cleaned it all up ready and waiting. Will Hammerite do forexhausts?
Yes hammerite will keep away the rust, I have seen others doing the same. Wingnut suggested in his article of fitting the front rotor covers touse hammerite on the inside of the covers if you did'nt have the use ofa spry gunto avoid the rust setting in. Hope you get your wheels sorted. :cool:

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
imported post

You can buy very high temperature clear lacker. It is very thick and needs brushing on, but it stays on for years even on manifolds. I'm not sure if Hammerite will take very high temperatures found on exhausts.

·
Premium Member
538 Posts
imported post

You can also have the pipes ceramic coated on the inside. The exhaust will actually perform better and cooler!

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
imported post

How good or effective, not to mention how well they might lengthen the life of your mufflers, since they are used and 20 plus years old? You would have to use something to stop the rusting process already going on. Then what ever you use will have to encapsulate any existing rust and must stand up to the high temperatures as well. Then you have to make sure that you cover all the surfaces or those areas will start rusting again.

If you do find something that will work or a process for neutralizing the rust inside the exhaust pipes, please post your findings and/or experiences doing it.

glcxrider :coollep:

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
imported post

ceramic coating or aluminizing exhaust does work very well but the people who do that won't guarantee the work on old pipes. They told me that the rust already there would be impossible to remove to get a good bond to the metal.

I have found the only way to keep the rust at bay is to ride as often and as far as possible:shock::cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil:....at least that is what I tell the one with the polishing cloth:grinner:

Nick:waving:

·
Premium Member
538 Posts
imported post

Amen to that buddy!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.