Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi my 1100 gw has a rusted tank. in the past I have removed the tank to clean
But that is for crap to do.

Does anyone know of a product I can pour in the tank to remove the rust without pulling out the tank?

Gumby

·
Registered
75 Posts
Not much of option unless you remove it. I am contemplating doing the electrolysis rust removal method on my 81. The tank is not bad but it has some rust in my float bowls so I know it could use a cleaning.

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
The chances are that what you are seeing in your tank is NOT RUST! Almost for sure its corn syrup. It's visually indistinguishable from rust. Fill your tank up with some parts cleaner and let it set over night, or better yet out side on a hot sunny day with the seat and side covers off so the sun can heat it. Then siphon the parts cleaner out. You will be amazed. If you can figure out a way to agitate the parts cleaner that would be even better. I've cleaned maybe 30 tanks this way,it works.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
The chances are that what you are seeing in your tank is NOT RUST! Almost for sure its corn syrup. It's visually indistinguishable from rust. Fill your tank up with some parts cleaner and let it set over night, or better yet out side on a hot sunny day with the seat and side covers off so the sun can heat it. Then siphon the parts cleaner out. You will be amazed. If you can figure out a way to agitate the parts cleaner that would be even better. I've cleaned maybe 30 tanks this way,it works.
I have done the multiple day soak in plain old white vinegar. Works great. As far as agitating it, I used a piece of garden hose and connected it to my compressor hose. You can direct the hose around inside the tank. I also take the petcock off and blow some air into the petcock holes. It cleans out the tubes that run into the main and reserve feeds. Never have the tank cap on while doing this. The tank can only take a few psi of pressure. To clean it out, I use the same garden hose and duct tape it to a shopvac hose. It is much easier to get all of the cleaning contents and gunk out when the tank is out of the bike.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts

·
Cyclebusters.com
908 Posts
quarter car wash. take the sending unit out, pour in some soap, pressure wash it, and then let it set, drain it with a syphon hose, wash it again. clean it with a shop vac, drop in a rag to sop up the water, let it dry, reassemble.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.