Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I have about fifeteen spokes (front wheel)showing rust since i bought this bike. I am wondering if i can still just get the wheels 'trued', how hard is it to find someone to do this now( my last two bikes had 'mags')? Can i just spray them with some thing and tap them to test sound for now?

Also, I am concerned that they may be fading, when i am rollin at 90+ and need to merge bike has gone into a pretty nasty 'whoopee' each time. I was considering the fork stabilizers from randakk(200. bucks??!!:cool:), when i noticed the spokes. And yes, air pressure was/is fine, top trunk i remove and side bags are weight balanced when i go out.

any thoughts??:?

Sorry, looks like i ran a few of those questions together.

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
imported post

Based on your discussion, I think you should find a shop that you trust, that does a lot of spoked wheels regularly (dirt bikes), and see if they will inspect your wheels, front & rear.

The spokes are weakened by corrosion, (deeper rust = weaker spokes), and it can easily affect the nipples and threads inside the wheel, even weakening the rim itself. Normally, severely rusted spokes will not "ring out" the same as clean ones even if the torque is correct, and a torque wrench really should be used to set them. There are more stresses applied to the spokes than just road bumps & potholes. They are stressed while braking, and in sharp turns, and during hard acceleration (rear).

If the spokes are not 'tuned' properly, they can (and will) induce wobbling, and feelings of instability. Of course, more modern cast wheels, or even Honda's infamous 'composit' wheels (if in good shape), will reduce the maintenance time and worries associated with spoke wheels. Think about shopping for a set, and include MC scrap yards, and Fleabay in your search. Wheels (all wheels)should be inspected for true occasionally, depending on use in service. Inspection quality dial indicators are recommended for this job. Good service shops will show you that they have them in house.

Certainly, I would avoid 90 mph until the spokes issues are resolved to your satisfaction. A fork brace decision/purchase should also be delayed pending your confidence level after your wheel issues have been addressed and tested. :waving:

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

FenderHead wrote:
Based on your discussion, I think you should find a shop that you trust, that does a lot of spoked wheels regularly (dirt bikes), and see if they will inspect your wheels, front & rear.

The spokes are weakened by corrosion, (deeper rust = weaker spokes), and it can easily affect the nipples and threads inside the wheel, even weakening the rim itself. Normally, severely rusted spokes will not "ring out" the same as clean ones even if the torque is correct, and a torque wrench really should be used to set them. There are more stresses applied to the spokes than just road bumps & potholes. They are stressed while braking, and in sharp turns, and during hard acceleration (rear).

If the spokes are not 'tuned' properly, they can (and will) induce wobbling, and feelings of instability. Of course, more modern cast wheels, or even Honda's infamous 'composit' wheels (if in good shape), will reduce the maintenance time and worries associated with spoke wheels. Think about shopping for a set, and include MC scrap yards, and Fleabay in your search. Wheels (all wheels)should be inspected for true occasionally, depending on use in service. Inspection quality dial indicators are recommended for this job. Good service shops will show you that they have them in house.

Certainly, I would avoid 90 mph until the spokes issues are resolved to your satisfaction. A fork brace decision/purchase should also be delayed pending your confidence level after your wheel issues have been addressed and tested. :waving:
Thanks for the insight Fender, glad to have a second thought on this. I WILL be riding a LOT MORE consevatively for a while:action:. This is probably something i'll just go straight to the dealer with(ouch:shock:).

I did not know ther was both cast AND composite wheels, i hope i can find some more info on those. Seeing as this bike is so heavy already, I like the idea of the composites, But why did you say "INFAMOUS":?, that has me a bit nervous.:cool:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.