Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Just put on new pilot GT tires and when I put the wing back together I found the saddle bag lights didn't work. I don't know if they ever worked since I just got the bike this year. This 1989 wing has an inverter behind the right saddle bag tail light. I have voltage going into the inverter but nothing comming out. Does anyone know what the output shoud be or where to find an inverter. If an inverter is to much money I will get new saddle bag lights from Cyclemax.

Thank

Frank WD8AYH

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

:waving::waving: Welcome to the World's Greatest Goldwing Sites FYN! :waving::waving:
I'm not sure why you'd have an inverter on the bike at all, what do you have on the bike that need AC voltage? Are you maybe referring to a brake light modulator?

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
:waving::waving: Welcome to the World's Greatest Goldwing Sites FYN! :waving::waving:
I'm not sure why you'd have an inverter on the bike at all, what do you have on the bike that need AC voltage? Are you maybe referring to a brake light modulator?
I've seen some that use electro-luminescent panels for lighting, which use an inverter module.
It's a bad idea and one that should be replaced with either LED or incandescent lighting, IMO.
They are prone to failure, the EL lighting is not substantial and the HV, electrical noise and heat generated at the inverter is unnecessary.

·
Premium Member
361 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
My 90 SE had some sort of 'funky' lighting system with an inverter or module or ?? on the saddle bag lights and I read somewhere that that was standard from the factory. Of course it went bad and I replaced it with'Big 6" side lights with 6 bulbs. I think maybe that was one of Honda's "better ideas" that didn't work out?

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
imported post

The saddle bag lights that were on my 96 1500 caused the alternator to go bad (after about a year) which costs me several bucks! I took them and the rear tail/stop light that replaced the center reflector off and pitched 'em. I was told they caused too much current draw on the system. Anyway no problems since.

Norm :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.