Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Wondering if anyone can tell me any other saddle bags and trunks I can put on a 1978 gl 1000. Having a hard time finding vetters for that specific year. Any advise?

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

As long as you are willing to play around with the mounting brackets just about anything from the 70's to early 80's will work. The Vetter bags all mounted to the hardware the same its the way the hardware mounted to the bike that changes. Many people put this stuff on these bikes so there is hardware out there but takes some searching.

I'm not sure if you've done some searching on ebay or not but you can try names like bates, calafia, and off course motorcycle saddlebags.

If you lived near my location I have a set of Vetter bags in rough shape & the mounting brackets have to be adapted to better fit my bike. I took them off previous owner had bastardized a system together with the mounting hardware.

Just keep looking, you'll find something. Also check craiglist. I myself have gone to a large pair of throwovers that work well & look good on the bike.

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
imported post

Harley bags and Trunk from the FL series work great.

Look at my picture and you see them on my 76 GL1000

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
imported post

I don't know what shape they are in but Bunky in MD has a set of bags, trunk, and fairing off a 77. He does watch these threads, at least sometimes. He's a super nice guy and isn't trying to get rich by parting out a 77 without a title.

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
imported post

The bags on my 78 are Pacifico brand, like the very good beer...:) (the bags on my avatar bike)

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

What everyone else said. Most anything can be made to work if you have a desire. One of the members on NGW has a set of Valk bags on his 75 and they follow the lines Beautifully. You might try looking in the For Sale section there as many guys strip their bikes and the bags sit in the garages for months before being thrown away.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.