Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I'm wondering if it's possible to attach gl1800 saddlebags to my 84 standard. Does anyone here have experience modifying mounting brackets to try this sort of thing?

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

I have not seen that done before, it might be a problem as the 1800 has the electric opener in the trunk

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
imported post

1984GL1200TX,

Why don't you just get some GL1200 saddlebags and the stock mounting hardware and use those? It would certainly "fit" better and actually match the lines of the bike.

Also, GL1200 saddlebags are much bigger inside than the GL1800 bags, and square-shaped as well. They hold more and are easier to pack having top-mount lids.

I'm sure you can find some. There are lots of places that tear down old Wings and sell the parts, plus eBay has lots of old Wing parts.

There's a thread on this site somewhere that lists many GL1200 parts sources.

Go GL1200 all the way and do it up right! Good luck!

PS) Another option is to go with some aftermarket soft bags. Those are handy to use as luggage since they can be removed easily and taken inside with you. Plus soft bagswould help retain the "standard" look of your bike.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
imported post

I agree with wingman try to get the 1200. The 1800 bags are not that good. I prefer the older bags any day of the week. Tom

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Hey guys, thanks for the respones. I had a line on some really cheap new Gl1800 Bags, which is why I was asking. But you're all right. It would be smarter to go with the traditional or soft bags. I was just being miserly. Also, I wasn't aware of the space considerations. Thanks again.

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

1984GL1200TX wrote:
Hey guys, thanks for the respones. I had a line on some really cheap new Gl1800 Bags, which is why I was asking. But you're all right. It would be smarter to go with the traditional or soft bags. I was just being miserly. Also, I wasn't aware of the space considerations. Thanks again.
Maybe you can pass on the info of those 1800 bags here. There might be someone here that could use them. Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

I thought about it but I'm afraid they've already been sold. Would've done so otherwise, though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.