Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello,

It's been a while since I have posted ( I used to be JM Wolfe - now I am Wolfej1 if anyone really cares)

Enough of that - here is the question and the advice I need:

I recently purchased a set of Interstate saddlebags for my GL1100 on fleabay for $50.00. I would like to repaint them and I started sanding them down only to realize that getting the clearcote and the pinstripe off is a major task:(. Does anyone have any advice on a good procedure getting the clearcote and pinstripes off so the bags can be primered and painted?

Thanks in advance

JM Wolfe

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Jack, jsmith24 was repainting his bike, he might be able to give you some advice. look up his member profile and fire off a PM to him. I know the subject has come up before about prepping so someone around here has the answer to your problem.

:waving::15red::waving:

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

JM, the answer to this was in a thread just recently. Do a search on pinstripes and it should come up.

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Eamonn1200 wrote:
why did you register again? Seems a shame to have to start your post count from scratch again, you'll never catch up on Redwing at that rate.
Hey Eamonn1200 :waving: Dont be putting ideas into his head. :whip: Anyway i will soon be collecting the new :18red:from wingnut for posting the first 1000 so the pressure is off. :weightlifter:

:walker: :18red: :walker:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Redwing. wrote:
Eamonn1200 wrote:
why did you register again? Seems a shame to have to start your post count from scratch again, you'll never catch up on Redwing at that rate.
Hey Eamonn1200 :waving: Dont be putting ideas into his head. :whip: Anyway i will soon be collecting the new :18red:from wingnut for posting the first 1000 so the presure is off. :weightlifter:
Does that mean you've cleaned up that miserable shed you've got or are you planning on storing it at your neighbor's so you won't have to buy gas?

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

sorry to say, but the only way is elbow grease, you might start with 220 wet/dry at first, but QUICKLY move to higher grits so you do not have scratches. using a filler/pimer with a 600 grit follow up helps as well filling in the spots

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
Does that mean you've cleaned up that miserable shed you've got.
Yeah the old shed is waiting for it's new lodger. :clapper:The old roof is getting very shaky though. :stumped:

:walker: :18red: :walker:

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

also, do NOT use paint stripper it will ruin the plastic.... and try taking an anti-inflamtory before the elbow grease... much more effective

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
imported post

The adhesive from the stripes seems to grip into the plastic, that's whythe marks are so hard to sand out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.