Read Only
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me where these go?

Dimensions
19mm OD
7mm (center hole)
6mm thick

They dropped on the ground when I removed the saddlebags to replace the Saddlebag chrome trim on my SEI project.

I reinstalled the saddlebags and everything lines up correctly without forcing anything.
The Top interior saddlebag mounting, Inside & Bottom bolts don't have any extra length sticking out of the welded on stay nuts.

The puzzling part is there is only two spacers?

They don't appear on any saddlebag parts fiche? (Which I find odd?)

Hopefully someone can take a peek under their SEI/LTD (Don't know if they are on all 1200's or not)
To tell me where they go?

I hate extra parts.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Can anyone tell me where these go?

Dimensions
19mm OD
7mm (center hole)
6mm thick

They dropped on the ground when I removed the saddlebags to replace the Saddlebag chrome trim on my SEI project.

I reinstalled the saddlebags and everything lines up correctly without forcing anything.
The Top interior saddlebag mounting, Inside & Bottom bolts don't have any extra length sticking out of the welded on stay nuts.

The puzzling part is there is only two spacers?

They don't appear on any saddlebag parts fiche? (Which I find odd?)

Hopefully someone can take a peek under their SEI/LTD (Don't know if they are on all 1200's or not)
To tell me where they go?

I hate extra parts.
Would be same on Aspencades or Interstates as well as SEis or Ltds. as the differences are not related to saddle bag mounting. My Aspencade had no such extra parts.

Hard to tell from the picture, but are they solid metal … or rubber with inserts? OD & ID and that part about 6mm thick (purt near 1/4") … sounds like a bushing or part of vibration dampening mounts.

Any other aftermarket parts on the bike?

You say everything lines up I see, so I'm wondering if maybe they were something a past owner thought was needed … or lost in the spaces (maybe just laying trapped in between stuff waiting for you to remove?) and just substituted something else? Is there a trunk relocation bracket in place, maybe a light bar around trunk?

·
Read Only
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just took a few more picture to help.

These are the spacers.
With the inside collar & Bolt going through it.

Attachments

·
Read Only
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here is the bolt through the collar and the spacer.

Hardly enough thread left to thread into the bag guard mounting tab.

Attachments

·
Read Only
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BTW. Both SEI's had the same spacers fall onto the ground when I removed the bags.

No aftermarket accessories on either bike in the saddlebag area.

Sorry for the multiple posts (I don't know how to add several pictures to a single post?)

·
Administrator
58,914 Posts
BTW. Both SEI's had the same spacers fall onto the ground when I removed the bags.

No aftermarket accessories on either bike in the saddlebag area.

Sorry for the multiple posts (I don't know how to add several pictures to a single post?)
do you see the ADVANCED button at the bottom of the text editor?
click on that, and slide down to Manage Attachments.

you can add up to 10 pix at one time.

if you are using a cellphone, go into Full Screen Mode, and you can do the same thing.

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Dang if I know.

You got two SEi(s), they both had 2 strange spacers, and now you've "lost the secret"? So you got 4 free spacers now.

·
Read Only
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dang if I know.

You got two SEi(s), they both had 2 strange spacers, and now you've "lost the secret"? So you got 4 free spacers now.

Had 2.Parted one out.

How is your post helping my question?:nerd:

As I said "I hate extra parts". I am trying to put everything back on the bike that it came with. (that is my point of asking for help)

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
How is your post helping my question?:nerd:
You mean this post?:cam:
Dang if I know.

Well,
A) it did let you know that I (one whom has a many year's experience with GL1200s of all types) have no answer for you as to the spacers' origins
&
B) it pointed out that you now have 4 spacers for your parts drawer.

:wink2:…. Later guy!

(just so you know, I looked through every page of numbers and diagrams in parts book even closely related to the saddle bags, no sign of them)

·
Read Only
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Have you looked at the other side to see if it has them?

As I said. I took the bags off the restoration bike to change the Chrome light trim (They are larger on the LDT/SEI's)

But it was a few weeks after I stripped the parts bike. (And I completely forgot about the spacers on the ground, until it happened to the restoration SEI.)

One spacer fell out from each bag.

Meaning. one was on each side of the wheel. After I removed the bags "After I took all the bolts out of both bags".

That is my point of asking LTD or SEI owners for help.

·
Read Only
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okay, what chrome light trim are you referring to?

The Trim has nothing to do with the spacers.

Changing the trim is part of the restoration (They were rusty)
The trim is the reason why, I had to remove the bags to change the trim.

Here is what the trim looks like on the LTD/SEI's.

Attachments

·
Read Only
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The Mystery Additional Spacers is Solved.

Add On who copies everyone's design, Copied the now de-funked "Markland Brand" Hitch.

My problem arose because, The SEi I stripped "Didn't have a Hitch installed"
The Restoration SEi did (Markland hitch)

So my search for a markland hitch was fruitless.

I spotted the elusive spacers in the Add-on picture of what is included in their hitch.

I was able to locate the Add-On Hitch install instructions.

You can see where the spacer goes. "Between the bottom of the Bag Stay mount & the Trailer hitch mounting bar on the Bottom of the Stay mount.

Confusing the issue, (for me)
was the fact that I bought new OEM Inside bag bolts for both bags, (No extra threads sticking out the bottom or the sides of the stay, once mounted)

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts