Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

HI I have a 1980 goldwing my right side saddlebag is crack on the bottom side pretty bad i thing it can be fix. Is there any kind of glue or something i can use to fix this. Thank you

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
imported post

I'm sure it can be fixed, if it still maintains its shape and doesn't have large missing pieces. First, though - does anyone know if the bags are fiberglass or are they ABS?

If it's ABS, you can pick up a small can of ABS cement (black) and when the stuff is dry, it is actually a part of the bag, not just a glue. If it's fiberglass, then any small fiberglass repair kit should work. Both fixes stink to high heaven, though, and are chock full of chemicals, so use them "with adequate ventilation". as all the legal disclaimers say.

I very successfully repaired my side cover and a cracked fairing with the ABS cement. Once it cured for a day or two, I was able to sand it smooth, prime and paint.

Jack

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

ABS cement as used in plastic piping is available in any hardware store and bonds well to the bike plastic.Glue some small piece(s) of ABS plasticacross the crack to reinforce it for a stronger repair.

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
imported post

Well, not *any* hardware store. I could only find it at Lowe's, and only in certain ones at that. Works wonderfully well, though, eh?

Jack

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Hi

They are Honda bags plastic ABS. Do i need to use any fiberglass cloth with the ABS cementtoreinforce the bag orwill the cement work good with out cloth. Thank you for info.

Darwin

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
imported post

darbike wrote:
Hi

They are Honda bags plastic ABS. Do i need to use any fiberglass cloth with the ABS cementtoreinforce the bag orwill the cement work good with out cloth. Thank you for info.

Darwin
Hi Darwin,

As long as you allow the cement to cure for a couple of days, it should be fine. See, it isn't just cement, it's sort of an ABS plastic powder chemically dissolved in a carrier. Once the carrier evaporates, the ABS cures and becomes solid plastic again. Like the one fellow said about his mirror - same goes for me. That side cover I repaired was cracked really bad, and after the repair is as strong (or stronger) than the original plastic.

Jack

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
imported post

Hello all, Im still fairly new to this board but enjoy every min. Anyway regaurding fixing your bags, YES you can fix them I have fixed mine on a 76 you can get the stuff at any automotive paint supply store it is a two part epoxy I will have to get the name of it tommorrow at work, but it works great.(it is for fixing plastic, fiberglass ect specifically, says so on the tubes) T$.

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

Hello cruzin80930and welcome to the forum. About the epoxy, I would have expected it to just crack and fall of after a while, any repairs I seen with it end up going that way. I'd expect the ABS repair kit to work better.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Hi Steve and all theGuys:waving:

I join the forum about two weeksago. I;m sorry I did't getbackand thank the people for allthe information on the saddlebags that I'm working on. THANK GUYS:D. This is a real nice forum and the people are great group of people to talk toaboutquestions on my 1980 GoldWing. I pick up this Wing a Month ago It did not have saddlebags and a trunk so I'm going to put some on. I' sure I will be asking a lot more questions on my bike. So THANKS again guys

Darwin

P.S. ThankStave Saunders forset up this real niceGoldWingBulletin Board:clapper:

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Hey darbike :waving: Welcome to the forum and visit often. :clapper:

:weightlifter::18red::weightlifter:

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

I too have had to repair my fairing. I used the Devron two part epoxy designed for plastic, except it cures clear. Without me going into detail here, if you're interested, read the thread about the "shaky" fairing.

I wish I had thought to ask aboutthe different glues available. I mightof used the ABS stuff instead.

You should be able to repair your saddle bag without a lot of cost or labor.

Hobie

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
imported post

darbike,

There's a fiberglass impregnated bondo that can be used to repair the cracks (my brother does auto body, & has done this to a trunk for me). He took a grinding disk to the cracks, creating about an 1/8" gap. then he liberally spread the bondo over the cracks (I wish he hadn't used as much, because I was the one doing the sanding). The repair is stronger than the original piece.

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
imported post

Hello, Ive been extremly buisy just got back. The name of the stuff I use is FUSOR I get it from work But anf auto motive repair/paint and body shop should have it. It is specificly for plastic, fiberglass/gel coat resin core panels and is a heat set formula. It works great does not crack and fall apart,( it is used to repair corvette fenders etc) I used it on my Trunk and bags and havent had a problem yet. You do how ever have to prep the area being fixed properly or you will have poor results. just my @ cents T$

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.