Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi,

I recently switched from Brit bikes to a used 81 GL1100 that I want to rebuild just enough so it looks good and is dependable. I am not real familar with the models and what they had for stock accessories.This bike had an after market seat made by Diamond on it and it was pretty beat and split several places. So i bought what I thought was an original seat that fits from ebay. I think it is from an 83 though. The passenger part of theseat slopes upward at the rearand i think the 81s were maybe flatter, I'm not sure. Anyhowthe trunk hardware has a system that you can swivel or rotate the trunk so if you do not have a passenger, the driver can take advantage of the backrest. Well, this will not work properly because of the width of the seat and the sloped back of the passenger portion of the seat. Is this rotateable hardware standard on this model or did it come with a rigid mounted trunk? And if it's stock, is there a way to make it rotate over the seat with out rebuilding the seat, or getting another one. Or if this is not stock hardware, where canI get the original stuff?

I think I need to look for some parts at another part of this forum but I need all new locks that lock the bags and trunk to the frame (4 locks). And I want to get rid of the rusty chrome (aftermarket?) driver and passenger floorboards and get the original footpegs and shifter if someone has there old takeoffs laying around. Thaks

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

The 83 seats are 2 inches longer than the earlier 1100's. That trunk setup is aftermarket, not stock. Honda sold 2 styles of bags and trunks for the 1100's, the solid mounted and the suitcase styles that popped off with a lock. All trunks are removable.

It would help a lot if you could post some pics.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

I'll try to post some photos. I only figgured out how to post 1 photo at a time. Not real familar with this.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Doesn't look original to me..similar but the rear part is too high. It should be almost flat to the end only the drive part was "cupped". The trunk is original but the mounting hardware is not. If you got a stock seat the swing arm would probably work. Look in the history section for pics of the the stock bikes. look here for example http://tinyurl.com/bbfnbt

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Yeah, I think you are right about the seat. If you look at the bottom, it is a factory fiberglass pan for sure but I'm not sure about the part you sit on. Hate to buy another one, butI may. If it is genuine Honda top part, I wonder what year? Will look around as you suggest. Thanks :waving:

I looked at the seat on ebay and I have seen a lot like that. I think the trunk would go over the top of that one easy. You're probably right but I may stay with the oneI bought, maybe. I don't know.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

RB wrote:
Doesn't look original to me..similar but the rear part is too high. It should be almost flat to the end only the drive part was "cupped". The trunk is original but the mounting hardware is not. If you got a stock seat the swing arm would probably work. Look in the history section for pics of the the stock bikes. look here for example http://tinyurl.com/bbfnbt
Check This. I just ran across it: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-Goldwing-GL1100-1100-Saddlemen-Seat_W0QQitemZ260340538674QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotorcycles_Parts_Accessories?hash=item260340538674&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=72%3A543%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
imported post

Here is my 81 with the Interstate trunk and saddle bags, with the stock type mounts. Hope it helps you in your quest!!

Attachments

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Chuck, I believe I saw that bike when it was for sale on Ebay. That is an after market mount for the trunk, the only one I've ever seen like that.

The 83 seat is 2 inches longer and gives the passenger more room with that additional 2 inches. The stock 83 luggage rack also sits back 2 extra inches compared to the earlier models. The 83 luggage rack will fit on the earlier models which will allow the 83 seat to mount correctly.

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
imported post

I have a travelcade (I think) with a fresh recover job I'll trade you for the one in your pic. I bought the seat, had it recovered, went for a ride, my wife said "no"...since then it has been sitting in the garage. It should work for what you have in mind but I couldn't garuantee it of course.

·
Village Whack Job...
7,907 Posts
imported post

chuckb01 wrote:
And here is a photo of the replacement "original equip. seat" i bought on ebay. Supposed to be for an 83? but mine is an 81, and it does fit though.
That seat is NOT for an 1100. It is however a stock seat for a 1000. Which would put it somewhere between 75 and 79. I have a 77 with the exact same seat.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.