Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

newest saddle thread I found was 2006, so I went for a fresh one.
Went for a 200 mile ride with the church group, all of them were at least 10 years younger or had new road star 1100's

MY behind is still hurting a week later. Wifes behind also. I was so tender even the lincoln seats hurt to sit in.
Am I getting to old (59) or do you think my 84 wing seat is breaking down from its old age. I had to stop every 25 miles on the way home.

No didn't ask anyone to ride my bike home, and compare sore heinnie notes

Maybe its from all those long rides in my younger days on 350 cc 2 cycles, wing ding ding ding, can't say I miss that sound!:cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

200 mile ride with the church group and your behind is still hurting a week later? Maybe you need to talk to the pastor about not getting enough knee time.

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
imported post

Seat's probably shot. Watch eBay for a take-off in nicer shape.

Living in Hell, And having a sore turd-cutter . . . . . . . . . You got problems, bud. :)

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

The OEM saddle on my 1100 only lasted until we got home from the first long ride. I bought the bike new and within a month had an aftermarket saddle on it. There are many outfits that make saddles for the 1200, even the high $$$ custom ones. You might take a look through the JC Whitney book. Many folks on the forum are happy with their offerings.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/Motorcycle-Seats/600014420.jcw

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

It's not like it looks shot,or feels shot from a short sit, and since we're talking 84 wing a take off is probably foam rotten also. If thats the problem.

More knee time? not at my Methodist church, chairs and standing. Knees---- oh yeah - that was my catholic upbringing

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

seat kit? only the first one mentions 84
ummm
who's done one? and did it help older rears. At least cosmetically mine looks new, no fading or seam ripping, only 40k on it since I bought it with 10.

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
imported post

smokepole wrote:
. . . . . did it help older rears. . . . . . . . . . At least cosmetically mine looks new, no fading or seam ripping, only 40k on it . . . . . . . .
We're talking about the MOTORCYCLE seat, now . . . . . . . . right ?? :)

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
imported post

ummmm
yeah, no seams in the other seat, I've only had heart surgery

5' 10". 185, eating grin

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
imported post

My 1200 is an '86, with almost 90,000 miles on it. 300 - 400 mile days for a week are no big problem. I know the last owner was a little guy, so he didn't smash it much.

The 1500 seat is better, but the 1200 isn't bad. My butt's 15 years newer, too.

I've seen some high-end aftermarket seats go for pretty cheap on eBay, but you have to watch close. Aftermarket seats tend to be MUCH firmer. I have a Travelcade on the 15, and it feels like a rock at first, but it's good for the long haul.

I've never done the foam "bun" replacement, but I've had seats apart to fix the covers, etc... It's not that bad. The secret is to put a plastic bag over the bun, and tape it to your shop vac hosewhen you are ready to fit the cover. Get a few staples in each side, then turn the vac off to make sure everything's even.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
imported post

Hey smoke pole. I have a new cavalcade road sofa with back rest from JC whitney. Pretty firm. didnt do much for me. Its wineberry to match my 85. I would sell it for half price probably around $200.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,960 Posts
imported post

Hi Smoke,

The '87 had a way better seat than earlier years. Check one out if you can. I doubt you'll find a color to match the '84 though.

I'm 61 and can do a week of 500 mile days on mine.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
imported post

wineberry- thats the burgandy color? Might stick out on a silver wing. But I'll keep it in mind

current seat is actually a dark gray, only noticed recently it wasn't black

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,960 Posts
imported post

'87 had a gray Interstate and asilver Aspencade. Either of those should match pretty well.

Mine is called "Romney Red" and is definitely a dark burgundy. Looks good with the "Pearly Beige Metallic" paint.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
imported post

dalemcg wrote:
Hey smoke pole. I have a new cavalcade road sofa with back rest from JC whitney. Pretty firm. didnt do much for me. Its wineberry to match my 85. I would sell it for half price probably around $200.
I'll think about it, send a pic, your arm twisted shipped price, and I'll sweet talk the wife after my next unemployment check!!!

cavalcade road sofa
shoved that into google , a nd didn't find anything

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
imported post

i got mine done this summer with a new foam inside it, its firmer and is very comfortable for long rides. also got the driver backrest redone needed all the comfort for the long rides

·
Busdriver
1,037 Posts
imported post

I once had a Vstar with a nasty oem seat, so i took it to an upholstery shop and had them dish the foam out and add a layer of memory foam. Huge improvement.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.