Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 80 of 224 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
imported post

deradler1 wrote:
Another tip is whenever I am coming up to a green light that I have been watching and I think might turn I look at the pedestrian signs on the poles on the corner. If they are flashing red, I slow down.
Most of our crosswalk light are white to cross, flashing red when they want you to hurry up a bit, then solid red as the light is about to change. I watch them too.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

I too keep an eye on the pedestrian light at intersections. But that is just one quick piece of information I need to pass safely.
This is another case where the fast lane is best.

As I approach the intersection, I ASSUME there will be someone trying to run the red light in one of three directions. I am in the center of the path so I have the most room and therefore time to impact. I try to set my position so that I'm not locked in to a single path.
If I am, that is the only time I slow down. Otherwise, I want to maintain my speed to allow faster diversions to a new route and around existing traffic.
You have to be able to see all this before you enter the intersection so you are down to a couple of alternates when you enter it. The rest is just a matter of scanning quickly left and right and that the oncoming left turner isn't moving, looking for that flying object.

Ideally, I like to follow a car through on the fast lane with exit options on at least the right side.

The car in front of me pins the oncoming left turner for me. He also adds presence for anyone trying to enter from the right or someone blasting through from the side.

All I have to do is watch the car in front while riding in his visibility vortex and be ready to divert left or right beside him, into the holes I try to have, if I get a red light runner or he decides he's stopping right after the intersection.

Close enough to ride behind and just far enough behind to divert left or right.

The pedestrian light just gives you a clue as to how the scenario might be played by others involved. Remember, you don't exist.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,305 Posts
imported post

Rudy wrote:
Ideally, I like to follow a car through on the fast lane with exit options on at least the right side.
You and me both, brother..... I use as many of those metal Guardians as my Angels can provide for me.

On the 3+ lane intersections, I like to be in #2 lane. When the light goes green, I let #1 and #3 lanes pull out first and stick their nose in it. Then, after I can see behind the rear of each, and know it is clear left and right, I go through with them. A quick twist of the throttle and I am in front of them so I can see both right and left all the way down the street to the next intersection.

Hopefully, I timed it right to catch the green and I coast though with foot/hands on brakes and 5-10 seconds after the green.

That kind of exercise to diligence has kept me away from the contact sport of greeting the cagers first hand.

Hopefully, my Angel will stay with me and not let me "fall asleep" on the job of watching for the one that is "out to get you".

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
imported post

At work, the entire company is going through a series of lectures titled "Safe Start Training". The main theme of the training is:

[align=center]Mind on task
Eyes on task
[/align]
It seems that those that ride bikes are more attuned to this than any cager only because of the potential danger envolved in riding a bike.

However, after going through about 60% of the training and thinking about these two idea, I have cometo the following conclusion. We simply need to define what "task" means in reference to what we're doing. It could be one thing at work, another at home and another when we mount up for a ride on our GW's.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
imported post

Hi all,

Firstly can I say what an awesome site this is - full of excellent information.

I have always adopted the principle that all other drivers cannot see me and even if they can they are still going to try and kill me. :shock:

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,305 Posts
imported post

I caught this article in our local newspaper this morning:

Chandler, AZ
evtribune.com

a 33 year old Chandler man suffered life-threatening injuries Thursday in a motorcycle crash.

Chandler police spokesman Detective Frank Mendoza said Greg Sexton was riding west on Hawken Way when he failed to negotiate a curve at Arrowhead Drive and crashed into landscaping and a wall.

After I read that report, I wondered what the circumstances could be. I pulled up a map of the area and from that, I can only deduce that this guy was driving way over the speed limit, and obviously his skill level.

As this is a Safety Thread, I thought it appropriate to include some analysis of incidents we hear about. Maybe by dissecting these, we can learn from them.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Hi Pat and welcome to the site. :waving::waving:

Can't beat a member who keeps his site name simple... even this old fox should be able to remember that one!!!

I see you aren't too far afield from us, so maybe we will catch up on the road sometime. Perhaps you woud like to join us for the Meet and Greet scheduled for next August in North Wales. Details on the events forum. :D

Keep assuming you are invisible and that will keep you safest.

Enjoy the forums and visit often.

:waving::waving:

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Got to have been either going too fast or lost concentration completely. :(Only other explanation might be an oncoming vehicle, turning too wide , forcing him to divert and crash, which incidentally has happened to me, with fairly disasterous results.

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
imported post

You know my friends, it is the one thing every country, no matter how big or small, has in common,and thats those on the road that only think of them selves. I ride with every part of me on high alert. It is so easy to get "in with the ride" but as soon as traffic appears trust no one. Keep safe all.:waving:

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
imported post

A good tactic when riding open road and you see cross traffic, or on coming traffic....move the bike left/right a foot or so...maintain your track or shift lane tracks...the human eye will pick up this movement quicker than any thing else...better than switching from low beam to high beam or visa versa. Makes you less invisible.

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
imported post

AZgll1500...that crash is so familiar....investigated several similar..the common denominator....speed, alcohol...probably at night?

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

Pat wrote:
Firstly can I say what an awesome site this is - full of excellent information.

I have always adopted the principle that all other drivers cannot see me and even if they can they are still going to try and kill me. :shock:
Hey Pat :waving: [shadow=lime]You are Very Welcome to The Worlds Greatest Goldwing Forum.[/shadow] :clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper:

You have just stated the most true words :2finger:that youwill ever speak highlighted in Red:clapper:and just to add to your statement, :2finger:the first words that will come out of their filthy mouth :whip::whinger::cussing::whip:after they have knocked you downis

"sorry I didn't see you" :whip::whip::whip::whip::whip::whip:

:coollep::18red::coollep:

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,305 Posts
imported post

Eric in Lincoln wrote:
AZgll1500...that crash is so familiar....investigated several similar..the common denominator....speed, alcohol...probably at night?
I'm guessing it was in the night time hours, however, the newspaper article didn't say. I quoted it verbatim as printed. It was one of the "news in briefs this week" kind of summaries our local paper does.

If you look at the satellite photo closely, there is evidence of something having gouged out a nice little groove in the pavement near that intersection. Can we call it an "intersection" ? It's a right angle turn in the road.

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
imported post

cldryder wrote:

(many times I've wished for a sign "THE CLEAR SPACE IN FRONT OF ME IS FOR SAFETY, NOT SO YOU CAN PASS!!!!)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This one really hits home for me!!!

I'd love to have that put on the front of my dump truck in reverse so the idiots filling the spot can read it in their mirror and maybe get the hell out of my space!!!:X

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
imported post

longhaireddwb wrote:
cldryder wrote:

(many times I've wished for a sign "THE CLEAR SPACE IN FRONT OF ME IS FOR SAFETY, NOT SO YOU CAN PASS!!!!)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This one really hits home for me!!!

I'd love to have that put on the front of my dump truck in reverse so the idiots filling the spot can read it in their mirror and maybe get the hell out of my space!!!:X
Ah, but the problem there is they don't look in the mirror. They're too busy eating, drinking,talking on the phone, listening to crazy music as loud as it'll go, putting on makeup, reading movie magazines, changing their clothes, etc., etc.

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

Larry G. wrote:
Ah, but the problem there is they don't look in the mirror. They're too busy eating, drinking,talking on the phone, listening to crazy music as loud as it'll go, putting on makeup, reading movie magazines, changing their clothes, etc., etc.
That reminds me of when I was on active duty at FT Campbell, I was at the Waffle House one morning and a cop I knew was telling me that the day before, they caught a cage driver at 95 mph changing out of his PT clothes and into his uniform. Talk about multitasking!:D

Gene:waving:

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
imported post

One thing I always do is remember I am merely a bug compared to automobiles. No matter what I do in coming into contact with a car or truck I will always come out the loser. Period.

Second, I always assume nobody can see me, as stated on multiple threads above. Therefore I do all I can to increase their awareness of me: flashing lights, honking the horn, running with my foglights on - all to make them aware but still assuming they can't see me. Yesterday I was in the passing lane passing Annapolis, MD and two sport bikes were racing and a little low-rider was following, racing as well. I wasn't aware of the car until I moved into the right lane to make room for any other sport bikes, then the low-rider moved into the same space from the right. I immediately pushed my left handlebar and vacated the space, even though I was there first, remembering rule #1.

Third, I always remember that the world can be a kinder, gentler place as I always am kind to others, motioning them in if they're trying to get into my lane, waiting for slower drivers to pass in parking lots, generally being helpful whenever and wherever I am. I am constantly amazed at how scared many drivers are, they have a panicked look on their face - I help these folks the most. The aggressive drivers here in the Washington DC area cow the 'scared' drivers, not letting them out of the merge lane, for instance, so I make it a point to let them in (when it is safe).

My last point is that the Goldwing is a 900 pound behemoth that handles as nimbly as a sport bike when moving, but when I slow down or stop I make it a point to remember that it is 900 pounds and can easily tip over.

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
imported post

Broke Winger wrote:
Something else I do. When passing an eighteen wheeler ont eh interstate I pull up fairly close behind it in the same lane, this lets me slip through the slistream of displaced air behind him, this make acceleration easier when I pop out from behind him in the other lane it takes a very little twist of the trottle to speed up by five or ten miles perhour just coming out of that slipstream.
I strongly recommend not following an eighteen wheeler in the same lane, as their tires tend to disintegrate and explode at the most unpredictable times. I can't count the number of times I have been near a truck, either in my SUV or my bike, when I have heard a loud pop and seen chunks of tire flying out to the side or the rear. These chunks are large enough to take your head off...

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
imported post

joelhar wrote:
I strongly recommend not following an eighteen wheeler in the same lane, as their tires tend to disintegrate and explode at the most unpredictable times. I can't count the number of times I have been near a truck, either in my SUV or my bike, when I have heard a loud pop and seen chunks of tire flying out to the side or the rear. These chunks are large enough to take your head off...
Ditto. A lot of states allow retread tires on tractor-trailer rigs. IMO, this is a very dangerous situation. They come apart like a bomb when they fail. If you're in the way, the pieces could kill you. Also, a lot of trailers aren't maintained well and can cause more havoc. I know a guy who's car got hit when a whole axle assembly came off of a trailer. He was hurt pretty badly, but survived. If he'd been on a motorcycle, he'd have probably been killed.

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

Silverfox wrote:
Lane changers are another one to watch out for, especially the many foreign lorry drivers that frequent our roads, with left hand drive vehicles, they often cannot see us as we are passing them and pull out suddenly. I have had this happen on more than one occasion and even when driving a big van.
Hey Silverfox :waving:thats cause those baskets dont use their mirrors properly or not used at all :whip: :whip:

:coollep::18red::coollep:

61 - 80 of 224 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.