Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

How wide would be a safe width for a trailer to haul a Goldwing on?

I'm a bit worried about tipping over being to narrow and Wing sitting a bit high, don't want it to be top heavy.

Is about 4' wide enough would you think?
I have an HF trailer, "46X48" rated about 1080lbs with 12" tires and the 3 leaf springs.

I am wondering if that would be wide enough if I lengthen it to fit the Wing on.

·
Premium Member
868 Posts
imported post

You mean 4' wide including the wheel track? That would be a bit narrow in my opinion. Most of the guys I know hauling Wings and Harleys on trailers prefer wider than that.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

The center of gravity will be way high on an HF trailer unless it was designed to allow the bike to sit low like trailers with U shaped axles and low wheel tracks.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

This one I built from scratch although wheels are a little bigger, it's 4'x9' with a 7' tailgate.

Trailed the bike down to Florida no problems

Attachments

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
imported post

tricky wrote:
This one I built from scratch although wheels are a little bigger, it's 4'x9' with a 7' tailgate.

tricky, that is a fantastic trailer. How much "from scratch" did you use? Thats exactly the kind of trailer i'd like to build someday.

·
Administrator
26,152 Posts
imported post

Rudy is right, it needs to be low. 4' track I think is wide enough as long as the weight is low enough. I am considering building one and it will be without springs. Just a dropped axle with a 6" channel rail and a tongue and outriggers to tie down to on the front. Tie the rear wheel down to the rail and let the towed bike rear suspension absorb the bumps along with the tow vehicle suspension.

Just found this, exactly what I was trying to describe.
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200466701_200466701?issearch=14717

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

Metal99 wrote:
tricky wrote:

tricky, that is a fantastic trailer. How much "from scratch" did you use? Thats exactly the kind of trailer i'd like to build someday.
Everything except axle and wheels and mudguards.
Mostly from used 2x2x1/8th angle. The floor made from boards from a cedar tree that I cut from my property.
I use a Condor chock, also have a winch that I can install on the post at the front of the trailer for loading none running bikes.

Tailgate is 7' when down which allows me to keep my feet touching when loading. Although without those Gorilla lift assists I couldnt lift the tailgate on my own. With the Gorilla lifts I can do it with one hand.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

Ive hauled mine with a 4x8 deck trailer. It's sits sorta high the wheels are outside of the deck Work's perfect
Wilf

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
imported post

DaveO430 wrote:
Rudy is right, it needs to be low. 4' track I think is wide enough as long as the weight is low enough. I am considering building one and it will be without springs. Just a dropped axle with a 6" channel rail and a tongue and outriggers to tie down to on the front. Tie the rear wheel down to the rail and let the towed bike rear suspension absorb the bumps along with the tow vehicle suspension.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200466701_200466701?issearch=14717
The one in that link appears to have a torsion axle. I don't know it I would use one without some sort of suspension.

Bill

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Many thanks ya'll

I looked at the HF again today, I am thinking maybe not right for a big bike?

I need something, so keep ideas and designs coming.

·
Premium Member
3,463 Posts
imported post

When I first bought my bike, she wasn't running so I had to buy a trailer to bring her to Virginia from Florida where I'd bought her so's I could work on her.. The trailer I bought was one made by B&G Trailers in Deland, Fla. Here's a link to the trailer I bought:

http://www.bgtrailers.com/single-rail-trailers.htm

The width from tire to tire is roughly 5ft and the only kick I have on the trailer is the stock tire size which is 5.70-8. The trailer has performed well on trips to and from Fla., (roughly 700 miles), but I want to have a 12"-13" rim tire on the trailer as it's a bit easier on the wheel bearings on a long trip... If you want some more pic's let me know and I'll post some for ya...

·
Administrator
26,152 Posts
imported post

77Pinto wrote:
DaveO430 wrote:

The one in that link appears to have a torsion axle. I don't know it I would use one without some sort of suspension.

Bill
I would bet on it being more stable without suspension than with it.

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
imported post

DaveO430 wrote:
I agree, I will be removing the springs from all my trailers (cars and trucks too)and replacing them with pipe.

Bill

·
Administrator
26,152 Posts
imported post

77Pinto wrote:
DaveO430 wrote:
I agree, I will be removing the springs from all my trailers (cars and trucks too)and replacing them with pipe.

Bill
Well I base my statements on experience, I have been there, done that and have the t shirt to prove it. A single axle trailer hauling something that has it's own suspension works very well. One with springs hauling the same thing bounces and bobbs all over the road.

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
imported post

I've also had experience with a trailer with no suspension, but did not like it at all. Mine bounced all over until it had weight on it. Even then, we would run only 15 or 20 pounds in the tires to keep it down. Here is what I use now.

I bought it used a couple years ago. I think I have around $600 in it. I doubt I could build one for that.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

WOW, that is a nice trailer.
I think it would be to large and heavy for me though, I want to haul a wing behind a wing.

·
Administrator
26,152 Posts
imported post

SidecarMike wrote:
I've also had experience with a trailer with no suspension, but did not like it at all. Mine bounced all over until it had weight on it. .
That is one draw back, they do have to have a load on them or they will bounce. The ones I have used were rail dune buggy or dirt bike trailers that were never pulled empty.

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
imported post

Chromo wrote:
WOW, that is a nice trailer.
I think it would be to large and heavy for me though, I want to haul a wing behind a wing.
Behind a wing it might be. It only weighs 520 pounds and the bed measures 80 inches wide by ten feet long. We brought the Goldwing home from GhostRider's in Mclean, Il behind the wife's Subaru Outback.

Now that I have the sidecar mounted, it is a snug fit. The sidecar tire is tight up against the fender on the right side.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.