Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

For the last couple weeks riding to work in the now dark. I started to notice cars and trucks pulling to a stop close to some bikes. Started watching more closely and found that motorcyclists that gear down to a almost stop with last second applying of the brakes have the drivers behind them stopping later and closer. This was a observed on the highway 410 southbound where traffic speeds are 100km ( posted ) to 125km. Traffic jambs to a stop and brake checks are done. I also found that gearing down and tapping the front brake to just turn on the brake lights made a huge difference. Most of the time when I came to a stop, the cars were at least one to two cars away and stopped. When I didn't use the brake lights and gear slowed down they where right up to my bike where I could hear their motor running. All riders get into bad habits of some sort and bringing this topic up may come to light as one to remember. Happy motorcycling Tony.:action:

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
imported post

A great point and not only for motorcycles. I drive a manual car and have tried to get in the habit of tapping the brakes earlier than I need to. Unfortunately, I drive in a lot of bumper to bumper traffic and the worst times are when there is a break, everyone speeds up and then it all stops again. That is when you get the majority of fender benders.

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
imported post

I have noticed this also. When stopping I let off throttle tap the brakes, downshift, tap the brakes again, repeat for every gear. I have found this to work pretty good for me, especially when it's dark. The only time I really just coast or downshift is when there is nobody behind me.

When I am sitting at a light behind another vehicle, I always watch behind me and when I see a vehicle coming up I start tapping the brakes to let them know there is a bike behind the car in front of me.

Even myself (and I watch for bikes) have had a hard time distinguishing a bike from the car in front of it while they are sitting at a stop light in the dark. :waving:

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,653 Posts
imported post

+3 ON NOTICING THIS MYSELF.

oops , wrong case.

I have taken to flashing the brake lights with the hand brake whilst gearing down. Same effect all of you have mentioned. The cars actually do notice and back off for us.

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:
I have taken to flashing the brake lights with the hand brake whilst gearing down. Same effect all of you have mentioned. The cars actually do notice and back off for us.

Ditto.

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
imported post

I try to do this also. I think it helps. Gives them more time to notice the stop is coming.

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
imported post

Something about self preservation kicks in. Folks out ther just don't realize how fast you can stop a bike, and you can be stopped before they even notice it. I try to give them all the notice that I can. I really don't want to be sandwitched, could ruin your day.......:waving:

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
imported post

And the one behind you might look up from their texting just in time. We hope.

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
imported post

scotterichmond wrote:
And the one behind you might look up from their texting just in time. We hope.
That's why I spend more time looking in the rear view mirror and the bike in gear at all stops........

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
imported post

ditto on all. Also, at times of low visibility I try to stop a car length before the car in front of me to give me a little more room to move if needed.

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
imported post

Use a Back Off brand tail light modulator, plus always use the brakes even if just slowing down to light up the brake lights. Always checking the mirrors, and never stopping behind a car, instead I offset the bike so that I can be seen as a separate silhouette, and I have a line of escape so that a sleeping cager from behind can get stopped by the bumper of the car in front without me in the middle, unless of course I can and do safely filter/split lanes up to the front of the row ready to go at the change of the light.

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
imported post

I agree on all said above.....I also use a Back OFF tail light modulator.....seams to work very well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.