Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

In the past 20 years I have been rearended three times. Twice the trucks I was driving were totaled. The last one put me out of work for one year. Had I been on a bike on any of these accidents well, You do the math! Now that I am riding a bike againg I am really nerveouse when I have people behind me. I know that all you vets out there have avoided accidents many times. It would be great if you could give some good tips on how to be safe out on the road.

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
imported post

Take an advanced riding course, check your mirrors often, keep your distance, fit air horns. Ride safe

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
imported post

Well, you're on the right path already to keeping safe. Your experience has made you extra vigilant. I ride with the assumption that I am invisible. Personally I like to always keep an out available. For the rear-ending possibility, I always keep room between myself and the car in front. If I see someone coming up behind me, I at least have the possibility to jamming it in gear and jetting off to the side. Might dump the bike, but it sure as hell beats the alternative.

Just ride as if everyone is out to kill you.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
imported post

Howdy and Glad to see you back on a bike.

You are right to be nervous, But not to the extent that it hinders your enjoyment of the ride.

Bike riding is more dangerous than any sport known, Beats Football, Rugby and Lacrosse for danger. But it can be a very safe sport also.

All it takes is training yourself to look for the escape routes at all times.

You MUST at ALL TIMES, Watch the vehicle in front of you, Behind you, Coming At you, and any vehicle entering or leaving your area of safety.

It seems overwhelming at first but after awhile it becomes 2nd nature and you don't even have to think about it.

You will find yourself seeing things way up the road and already reacting to them while the driver in front of you finally decides to put on his brakes.

Good Luck on this cool adventure you restarted. (Riding)

Even going back and forth to work is like mini vacations.

Mohawk

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
imported post

Mohawk wrote:
Amen, brother! Commuting is a joy when I get to ride! I ride when it's in the upper 30's and when it rains. They really are out to kill you, though, so ride safe! Of course you can't control all the unexpected - I just hit a deer a couple weeks ago, in the morning on the highway. Jumped out from the ditch and ran back and forth trying to get in front of me. It worked, I broke both his back legs, but I was totally fine, no harm to my bike. It sure did wake me up!

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
imported post

I ride bicycles at high speed drafting and motorcycles amongst cars and sometimes in groups. These experiences translate to riding among cars. I have always felt that whether we are in cars or on motorcycles that we bear some responsiblity for reducing our chances for being involved in an accident. In other countries you will find that blame for an accident is assigned by the amount of experience of the drivers involved. I ride as predictably as possible and make a presence in traffic while riding. Two examples: During a recent group ride, one rider pulled away from a stop, looked to his left to double check traffic and then jammed on his brakes because he suddenly was not sure of the situation and the bike in back of him, who assumed the previous rider left, ran into the back of the person who jammed on his brakes; riding predictably. The other example is riding in a portion of the lane to be seen and establish the lane. I see many motorcyclist weaving in a lane or riding near the white line inviting others to share the lane. I am not laying blame on either party, just pointing out that there are ways to reduce our chances to be involved in an accident. The same techniques are applied by NASCAR teams.

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
imported post

Well here in the wide open spaces of new jersey, most drivers feel its their duty to ride your rear to help motivate you to ride faster. Since we have no speed limits, its just drive as fast as your vehicle will go. What has been working for me for 36 years has been to try and anticipate what moves others mostly cars, will do. When a car runs up your butt, I tap the brakes several times to catch their attention hopefully. Cause its hard to text, program your gps, eat, and drive all at the same time. And whenever I'm on a highway about to pass an exit, you can just about count on the car that's has been behind you for ten miles to pass you on your left, only to cut you off in a panic maneuver to get to the exit. I've learned to grow a set of eyes in the back of my head, always be searching for road hazards, and try to anticipate what cars, trucks, or other riders are trying to do and be ready and not panic . this way you can make your ride more enjoyable. motorcycle riding is supposed to be fun, not stress inducing and aggravating.,,

·
Premium Member
973 Posts
imported post

I have been rear ended on my bike twice, both times in a tourist trap town. Both times the other driver was looking at the "scenery" instead of watching the road. I have developed the habit of checking my rear constantly. I have installed items to make my bike as obnoxious as possible from the rear. I have 2 LED light bars, tail light modulators, and a flag. If someone gets close enough that I think they should introduce themselves, I touch the brake to activate the light show and even have to honk the air horn once in a while. If they continue to ride my donkey, I slow down and either they drive 10 mph under the limit or they pass.
Ride like they are trying to kill you, pray like crazy, look around constantly.

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

:waving:A good safety feature to add is to replace the stock 1157 tail light bulbs with the "tailBlazer" Deceleration Warning bulbs made by Kisan Technologies, Inc. The base of the bulbs has a microprocessor that is embedded in the bulb base. Bulbs are areplaceable G-4 bi-pin halogen bulb and comes with 2 spares. Average life of the bulbs is 2,000 hours. When you apply either front or rear brakes the "tailBlazer" bulbs will flash for about 5 seconds and then a steady brake light. Releasing and then reapplying brakes with start the flashing cycle again. This is a great safety feature and flashing brake lights definitely catches the attention of cagers coming up behind you. Another safety item you might want to install is the "pathBlazer" headlight modulator also made by Kisan Technologies.A headlight modulator increases visibily from the front of a motorcycle by about 200%. Headlight modulators are legal in all 50 states per Federal Standard 108.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

This looks like a great product. I will get a set for my wing. I like tobe as safe as I can!!

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,778 Posts
imported post

I agree with all of the above methods of attracting the attention of a tailgater.

I routinely travel the same freeway to work, that has 3 merging ramps, two from the right and one from the left, all within the space of a quarter mile.

Take a look at this, the blue trace is my route into work when the idiots are only 26 feet off your bumper:

I use the FULL lane in a side to side swerving action to prevent the cagers from trying to pass me IN MY LANE. I had a TailBlazer module to flash all of the brake lights on my 1500. I tap the brake handle routinely to get their attention.

When approaching the end of the merge lane, where the two parallel lanes are going to loose the center lane divider stripe, my swerving is centered on the lane divider stripe and my swerving goes halfway across both lanes.

I will NOT allow someone behind me to pass and crowd me off the road.

In straight line travel, if a tailgater gets too close for comfort, I hit the brake handle and start the brake lights flashing. If that does not back them off, I keep up the brake lights flashing and slow down, I don't care if I have to stop them in the road. I did that once to an 18 wheeler. He got the point, keep off my tail...

I also carry a lead weighted truckers baton (they use them to hit tires testing for soft ones), use Velcro to hold it to the handlebar's cross bar. That baton comes out real fast if someone tries to crowd me off the road. I have broken windows with it to get them off of me. When you are up against a 6 inch high curb and they are squeezing you, you get desperate.

Long before any of the above comes into effect though, I try to stay in the lane of "least resistance". Let the bad ones get on around you and try to stay clear. but I will fight back if they get too close.

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Hey, I love to see I'm not the only night owl on this forum. :toast: Thanks, Keep the safty tips coming!!!!

·
2,486 Posts
imported post

brianinmaine wrote:
Mohawk wrote:
Amen, brother! Commuting is a joy when I get to ride! I ride when it's in the upper 30's and when it rains. They really are out to kill you, though, so ride safe! Of course you can't control all the unexpected - I just hit a deer a couple weeks ago, in the morning on the highway. Jumped out from the ditch and ran back and forth trying to get in front of me. It worked, I broke both his back legs, but I was totally fine, no harm to my bike. It sure did wake me up!
So whens the "deer roast"?? Address, please!:action:

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
imported post

I have just got home from 1000 mi road trip Wing Ding in Tulsa OK. I installed the flashing brake lights on my bike before I left. I think they help get cars attention. The main thing that I do is what everyone has said CONSTANTLY LOOKING for danger and after a while it does become 2nd nature. Espacally around places you have never been. 6-8 lanes of traffic can become a little hairy on a motorcycle with everyone (vehicles)trying to get where there going at 100mph. Keep your distance at red lights, watch your mirrors every few seconds, and dont assume anyone is going to stop for you. Theres no such thing as being to safe.

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
imported post

You didn't say if you were rear ended while stopped at a light or at speed. While stopped at a light, I use neutral with my foot on the shifter while watching my mirrors. Some crazy people can't judge distance.

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Both times I was stoped at a light. It seemes to be better to kinda pull up to the car in front of you (at the lights) to the far left??

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:
I agree with all of the above methods of attracting the attention of a tailgater.

I routinely travel the same freeway to work, that has 3 merging ramps, two from the right and one from the left, all within the space of a quarter mile.

Take a look at this, the blue trace is my route into work when the idiots are only 26 feet off your bumper:

I use the FULL lane in a side to side swerving action to prevent the cagers from trying to pass me IN MY LANE. I had a TailBlazer module to flash all of the brake lights on my 1500. I tap the brake handle routinely to get their attention.

When approaching the end of the merge lane, where the two parallel lanes are going to loose the center lane divider stripe, my swerving is centered on the lane divider stripe and my swerving goes halfway across both lanes.

I will NOT allow someone behind me to pass and crowd me off the road.

In straight line travel, if a tailgater gets too close for comfort, I hit the brake handle and start the brake lights flashing. If that does not back them off, I keep up the brake lights flashing and slow down, I don't care if I have to stop them in the road. I did that once to an 18 wheeler. He got the point, keep off my tail...

I also carry a lead weighted truckers baton (they use them to hit tires testing for soft ones), use Velcro to hold it to the handlebar's cross bar. That baton comes out real fast if someone tries to crowd me off the road. I have broken windows with it to get them off of me. When you are up against a 6 inch high curb and they are squeezing you, you get desperate.

Long before any of the above comes into effect though, I try to stay in the lane of "least resistance". Let the bad ones get on around you and try to stay clear. but I will fight back if they get too close.
Wow, that is a crazy commute! Not sure I am ready for that stress, weeee dogy granny... that makes my skin crawl a little

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
imported post

Just today I almost got rear ended on the hiway. Traffic came to a sudden "almost" stop. I braked (flashing stop lights) and slowed. I saw a Mercedes coming up fast...I blinked the lights a couple more times., and was just getting ready to make an "escape" move to the right. I couldn't go left because that lane was full and moving at about 55 mph. Just at the last moment I hear her tires screeching and she starts heading for the right also, so I just stayed straight. When her front bumper was about even with my back wheel, all the traffic returned to pretty much normal. It was a woman...I don't know WHAT she was doing. She passed then me and took off as fast as she could, and refused to look my way. Oh well...another one missed me. I believe that the backoff lights are what got her attention....finally. I also absolutely will NOT sit at a stop sign, stop light, or stopped traffic( unless there are a few cars behind me and we are "parked" on the interstate) with my bike in neutral. This stuff happens so fast, you just don't have time to lift yer foot, get in gear and get moving before disaster arrives on the front bumper of some jizznoid's cage........

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.