Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I expect I am stating the obvious but it will do me good to get it off my chest...

Yesterday, I put the 'Wing up on the lift and tied her off with a couple of tiedowns which I had used for many years. Came into the house for a cuppa and when I got back to the garage, there was my baby laying on her left side on the concrete floor! The right hand tiedown had snapped causing an imbalance and over she went. Damn, how stupid I can be at times.

Got her back up and inspected the damage which, all things considered, was not too bad. Seems my mechanic's stool had broken the fall (it's now toast) but it still bent the case guard and did some cosmetic damage.

I now have brand new, higher capacity tiedowns mounted to heavy duty eyebolts firmly in the floor.

So, my advice is that if you're using nylon tiedowns older than a couple of years, toss 'em. Replacements are inexpensive and canpreclude mishaps such as mine.

There, that feels better.

·
Premium Member
3,776 Posts
imported post

Very good tip, nylon webbing is suseptable to U.V. rays, and many chemicals/cleaning type solvents. If in doubt, toss'm out. When replacing, look for the type with ratcheting mechanisms. They're much more secure...

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Hey Keener :waving: Sorry aboutthe mishap, but you escaped big trouble this time. :crying: A good lesson learned and not too costly. :clapper:

:walker: :18red: :walker:

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

The new tiedowns are rated at 1,500 lb each and have the ratchets. The normal type are sometimes only 500 lb and the gear tends to slip under stress. Good point about ultraviolet exposure.

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

Back when I used to climb, we used to trash our ropes every few years for the same reasons.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Got a kick out of a guy tieing up his boat next to me awhile back. He had the rattiest looking dock lines I ever saw. I asked him about it and he told me that his anchor line had gotten too bad to use so he cut it up for dock lines. You can see the same thing at a small airport, aircraft tied down with rotten, sun burnt, and frayed rope.

:whip::15red::whip:

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Same goes for seat belts in race cars. When had one unfortunate sprint car driver at my parents track find out the hard way that old belts can break...

Raymond

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I have a horror of my bike falling over, ever since we had an earthquake. I always leave her on the side stand since I think it's more stable than the center stand. I keep her away from anything in the garage that can fall on it too. Probably got this way after a building collapsed on my airplane one winter in Juneau. Don't want any thing else squashed!

:shock::15red::shock:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.