Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Well we took the bike out for a weekend rally loaded about 50 lbs of gear in the 3 compartments, and trailer loaded with 30 lbs tongue weight. 2 up, we around 350 together. Found I had rubbing on left side rear tire on bumps and about a fingers thickness clearance between tire and fender. Would get some rubber burning smell on bumps and takeoff. Can see where tire has rubbed on left side edge, yet can feel or see no spot on fender. Closest part to tire is a metal bar on frame near bottom but it is untouched and only close to middle of sidewall. Im running 57 lbs in shocks, and want to fix before replacing tire. Should I go manual shocks or what to get more clearance? Id hate to rub and groove a new tires sidewall.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

Upgrade to Progressive shocks on the rear

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
imported post

Ditto.

Progressives will ride and handle better under a full load two up than your old stock shocks do unloaded and one up.

·
Village Whack Job...
7,907 Posts
imported post

The cheapest and simplest answer is to rebuild your OEM air shocks with new seals and new progressive springs. The reason they are sagging is due to your 30 year old springs starting to give up. The springs are what carries the weight. The air pressure just determines pre-load height. And 57 psi int he rear is actually too much. max rear psi is 43. If you've bottomed out with 57 psi your seals are also shot.

You can get all of the parts from BikeBandit for just under $200.

There are a couple of good how to threads here on rebuilding them. Here is a link to the write up I did when I rebuilt mine. http://goldwingfacts.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=86014&forum_id=9

I've done a few sets of OEM shocks and a set of Progressive Suspension shocks.

In fact if you aren't comfortable doing it yourself, you could send me your shocks and the new parts and I'd do the rebuild for you. Just cover the postage each way.

I did this for RGBeard and for TimBrains. Feel free to ask them about it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.