Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Is it me or is it poor Salesmanship? I walked into a Showroom today, a major outlet in the South West of England, and asked a salesman what they had in the Goldwing range. The salesman told me "just this new GL1800 or a secondhand one". He walked away and didn't bother to return!" Don't Honda need to sell bikes or are they not interested in the more mature riders?? Don't they realise we're the bikers who have the capital that ain't earning any interest??

Cheers guys, Pete.

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
imported post

Nice guy....Find another Honda Dealer.....

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Redbaron, it's not that I'm looking for a deal on a GL1800(I love my 1500) it's just that I can't understand a dealer that cannot follow-up an enquiry when there is a world- recession goin'on. Perhaps it's just a UK thing??:?

Happy days-- Pete.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

kernowing wrote:
Perhaps it's just a UK thing??:?
No such luck, we've got them over here too. Must not be working on commission. If I was I'd work at selling a lot more than that.

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
imported post

A lucky escape there kernowing

If that was his attitude in relation to a casual enquiry you can imagine how they will deal with you if you had to bring the bike back for warranty work .Go look somewhere else fella

E

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

midwing wrote:
A lucky escape there kernowing

If that was his attitude in relation to a casual enquiry you can imagine how they will deal with you if you had to bring the bike back for warranty work .Go look somewhere else fella

E
Couldn't agree more.

That salesman did more to destroy a potential relationship in a few seconds than anything else.

I bought my latest Wing from a local dealer and had I received that sort of reception over the years of going in there I would have gone elsewhere.

Having spent some years in sales, the time spent talking to customers, is invaluable, even if they don't buy there and then. A good salesman will leave a customer with a pleasant feeling that will encourage them to return.

The reception that kernowing got will probably result in him not even going to buy spares there, so even add on sales will be lost to the dealership.

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
imported post

I had a similar thing happen in a Volkswagen dealership......I talked to two salesmen. I told them that I was looking to buy WITHIN the next 6 months. One salesman pointed me to the car I was interested in and never showed up to show me the vehicle. A second told me in a snobbish way that he didn't want to drive the vehicle around because I wasn't buying for 6 months....... I was in the middle of the show room and very loudly declared that if the dealership promoted such a shitty attitude that everyone in there should go to another dealership (4 in Houston) I was not going to beg them to buy a car. I was looking for a deal.....but the best deal I could get....

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

I was not on my Wing yesterday when I asked about the 1800's, I had my car. I wonder if I would have received a little more attention if I had been dressed in bike gear! If it weren't for the fact that it's a 120mile round trip, I'd be tempted to turn up on the Wing to see if they were a little more interested.
Cheers, Pete.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,657 Posts
imported post

kernowing,

They aren't worth the effort. Their style has already been published, I would not darken their door step ever again.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

98Wing-487 wrote:
I thought everyone in the UK bought bikes from Wexy..? :0)
nah... only the Irish get taken in by his banter, and we would have to arrange for them to be imported, so too much hassle. :(

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
imported post

Silverfox wrote:
98Wing-487 wrote:
nah... only the Irish get taken in by his banter, and we would have to arrange for them to be imported, so too much hassle. :(
Do you still have to pay import duty when getting stuff in or is that because the UK isn't in the European Comunity?

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
imported post

one weekend last august i was bored so i went to an open house at the local harley dealer. first stop was the test ride tent, they ignored me. i headed in to the show room and walked around for 40 minutes. no sales person spoke to me only the young lady that was greeting everyone coming in the building so i went back to the test ride tent. those guys signed up tow other guys for a test ride and i got ignored again. i wasn't looking to buy a bike but i get treated better at the honda dealers around here

·
Life Time Premium Member
3,918 Posts
imported post

I had a computer salesman give me a half hour demo on a computer and printer many many years ago. At the end of the demo I told him I was interested and would like to know the price. At the time Probably $8,000 to $10,000. Well he had to get ready for another demo and didn't have the time to talk to me about price. Never even called me up. Why do they go through the sales pitch if they don't wanna sell?

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
imported post

I would have a little chat with the owner of that dealership and let him/her know how the salesperson blew you off.

·
Premium Member
2,419 Posts
imported post

Got the same treatment, here, with the parts dude. So, I move on to the next, closest, dealer - same owner by the way. Got, marginally, better treatment. I still had to call back, but did not have to use my credit card to order over the phone (I hate doing that). Which is the only real difference between the two.

I'd start out your letter, something like.....

Sir/Madam,

Allow me to tell you why I will never do business with you and I shall tell every rider, I know (including the internet), how I was treated like something that needed to be removed from their shoes, by your staff......

Only thing I would have done, different, was hunt the guy down and get his name - for the letter. Pretty much 'sales' everywhere has got this 'go a way boy, you bother me' attitude. IMO, if we ever recover from this depression, there will be a reckoning with business, on this one.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

wingflipper wrote:
I would have a little chat with the owner of that dealership and let him/her know how the salesperson blew you off.
Funnily enough, I decided to send an e.mail to the dealership, outlining my dissapointment. I tried getting onto their websitefor the e.mail address and it was unavailable:shock:. I think perhaps I'll let sleeping dogs lie (as we say in the UK)

Cheers, pete.

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
imported post

I have been in sales, and now I teach high school students how to market (including sales). There is never a reason to be snotty or condescending to a customer. I learned the hard way that the guys smelling like horse dung, wearing raggedy sneakers, blue jeans, and a baseball hat are usually ranch owners that could buy the store with their disposable income. When you ignore these guys, you usually lose out on a lucrative sale and a loyal customer.

Competition is a great thing. We have three Honda Dealers in Las Vegas:two good, and one bad. The bad one is the closest to my house.:gunhead:All threemove product, but the good ones have a lot more activity and a betterreputation.Can you guess where mypatronage goes?:cooldevil:

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Wingle wrote:
Silverfox wrote:
98Wing-487 wrote:
Do you still have to pay import duty when getting stuff in or is that because the UK isn't in the European Comunity?
Despite Ireland and the UK both being in the European community, moving a vehicle from one European country to another is not so easy. Regulations have been tightened, that vehicles have to be individually tested to ensure they meet the receiving country's legal requirements. Vehicles made and sold in European countries, meet European standards, but it would seem that our governments like us to still get them tested to make sure they meet the local standards and of course the relevent importation tax may be applicable.

This has closed the door to something that used to happen a lot at one time, which was UK folks going to another European country to order their vehicles, because they were much cheaper. Many people bought cars in countries like Belgium, where the base price was much cheaper than in the UK and the savings, even accounting for taxation, were large.

The regulations are quite complex now and tend to put people off importing and exporting, especially for brand new vehicles which carry heavier financial penalties than for older vehicles.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.