Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Any recommendations for clearing up the damaging marksfromsea spray that dried on my Goldwing's rims?

Took the bike for a cruisewhich included aferryride. Sea spray shot up over the edges of the boat onto the bike's wheels;I noticed it too late andthere are nowhundreds of tiny pock marks on the rims.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
imported post

You don't say what model you have, but the gl1800 wheels are the worst for corroding. You will need to try polishing them out with Boms or Mothers. If that doesn't do it and there are still black marks left, you will need to use wet & dry paper starting with around 400 grit and then finer to get the pockmarks out. Then your polish will give the final shine.

There is a good how-to on this page of the site;

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/wheelpolishing.htm

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

That seems to be the rule of thumb. Polish first and if you still have black marks then sanding is the next step.

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
imported post

You don't say what model Goldwing you have wingfriend. If it's a GL1500 or older they all have clearcoat on the wheels. If the corrossion gets under them you will need paint stripper first to get all the clearcoat off before any polishing or sanding.

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks very much for your help, gentlemen.

My bike is a 1998 GL SE; it was in near-showroom condition until the sea spray problem. I was sick to my stomach when I saw the damage at the end of our trip; it even corroded some of the chrome.

Thanks again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.