Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I found a website that auctions off motorcycles that insurance companies have taken in after they declare them totaled. There are some Goldwings from the Houston area but they have saltwater damage. Is it worth checking these out or should I run as fast as I can the other way?

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
imported post

Unless you can get a GREAT deal, like damn near free, I'd look the other way.

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
imported post

BE very very careful.... unscrupulous folks are everywhere.
If it's been submerged then I would make a nice paperweight out of it. I agree with Biker John.......

·
Premium Member
4,040 Posts
imported post

Take it froma guy who has dropped an outboard into the chuck DON"T BOTHER They are mechanically finished unless some one with very good knowledge got hold of it within a very short time and did the right thing!!!!

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Okay, thanks, I wouldn't pay more than a $400 or $500 for one, it'd probably cost me more than that to have it shipped to Michigan though. They're listed with a salvage title, so it would be able to be licensed. Just have to decide whether or not I really want another project in my garage.

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

ccsailor wrote:
Take it froma guy who has dropped an outboard into the chuck DON"T BOTHER They are mechanically finished unless some one with very good knowledge got hold of it within a very short time and did the right thing!!!!
I highly doubt they got much attention after being submerged.

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
imported post

I'd PM Teacher and ask him. He has rebuilt one of those salt water bikes from the Houston area that I know of and may have done more. I don't think he's on the forum as much as he has been, but it will eventually catch his attention.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

Only thinga motorcycle isusable for after salt water submersion is a boat anchor... better get it near free, or not al all..

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Well never had one get submerged, but did have a 150 Merc develop a leaking head gasket, not a lot, not so I even knew it, the motor sat on the boat till the next season and would not budge. $1300 dollars worth of parts to make it well. Hire a shop for that it would have been $5500 bucks.

Just the trailer catches it, hose it down, coat the springs with used motor oil, still it rusts away. As for the electronics, they just turn green and grow fungus. :)

Saltwater is tough to deal with. Kit

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

One that's been flooded in fresh water is worth rebuilding but not one that's been in salt water. Just about all the electrical connections and wiring will be junk and have to be replaced. It's impossible to get all the salt out of all the nook, crannies and openings in the steel frame and that's a guarantee of future rust and failure. There isn't anything on a bike that's been in salt water that's worth salvage except maybe the tires.

I always get the creeps watching stupid TV ads showing new cars running along the edge of a saltwater beach. I wouldn't touch a car that had run through even a half inch of saltwater. If you think cars are damaged by driving on roads that have been salted in winter, that's nothing compared to submergence in the stuff. Saltwater is nearly the perfect solvent.

·
Premium Member
5,381 Posts
imported post

I would think the only salvageable bits would be the plastics. The rest is scrap metal.

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

nobbie wrote:
I would think the only salvageable bits would be the plastics. The rest is scrap metal.
I agree, the plastics would probably be decent still, but most everything else is trash on a bike dunked in salt water.

John

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
imported post

First thing first......The site you are looking at is a scam!!!!!! you pay a "Membership" fee and then every bike you see in that auction has already been sold to "breakers"....I emailed them three times never got a reply!!!! It's a scam.....These pictures are the same exact pictures they had on their web site 6 or 8 months ago when I e-mailed them about just driving over and paying cash money for several of them...???????

Any thing that has been under salt water is usually destroyed by insurance companies....exception to that is fresh water as mentioned.....In the floods here in 2002, I personally saw BMW's Mercedes, Jags, Porches, etc, the high dollar cars at one of the dealerships my wife's former employer did work for, out in the sun drying out..Motors and transmissions were replaced along with wiring harnesses, the interiors were set out to dry after getting a clean water wash....Over 90% of these cars went back to the original owners and they were like new...The flooded engines and transmission were either rebuilt there or sent back to the factory to be over hauled and used for warrant work...I was amazed at the number of containers setting in their back lots with engines, trannys, and wiring, interiors etc..About 100 containers total....

By the same token any car from any of the low lying areas flooded by Hurricane Ike,after removal of plastic, fiberglass parts, and trust me some were washed and sold, but they should have beenmashed.....But if you can get your hands on a bike that was in the salt water for less than 24 hours you might get it back to running, but it wouldn't be worth it...BTW the flood bikes that Teacher rebuilt were fresh water flooded not salt water...That's what I think he said last time we talked....

Claude.....

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
imported post

After thought Homer.....If you really want to buy a insurance totaled motorcycle, here is a quicker and a better way to buy one....First you have to have a friend that is in the business of buying totalled cars, trucks, etc , for breaking them or rebuilding them..I'm lucky in that respect I had a couple of people I know in that line of business....Next you have to go to these huge insurance auction places with your friend, and have cash money in your pocket, no checks because you wont have a dealers name and state licenses number on your checks...You may go to several auctions before you find what you want...Also be aware that you will be bidding against motorcycle breakers, and they will be bidding top dollar, they already know about how much they can make on that bike than you do....With all that said good hunting and good luck.....

Claude.....

·
Premium Member
20,585 Posts
imported post

Run Forest, Run!!!!! :shock:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.