Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I am looking at a 2000SE with 52K on it. Look real good but it has a Missouri Salvage or rebuilders title. It was apparently in a wreck and he bought it from the insurance company and replaced the faring and some other of the damage. Like I said it looks real good. My question is how much lower should the price be just because it has a salvage title. Kelly has it high retail at 8950.00. Will the salvage title make the selling price any lower just because of the salvage title?

Thanks

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,841 Posts
imported post

Not sure how much it affects bikes, but a salvage title on a car around here really reduces the value. Ask your insurance agent what they would place the value of that bike with the salvage titleat. They will probably have the most accurate valuation that you will find. If you buy it, you're gonna love it. :action:

And now the most important question, what color is it? :D

John

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

First of all, most 2000SE's I've seen go for at least the high retail you mention.. some as high as 10or 11k.. also depends on accessories added.... But I alsohaven't seena bigdiscount for salvage titled bikes that otherwise check out okay.. Like John said, cars do go for substantially less, I just haven't seen that for bikes.. I'd expect something,,,, but not the 30 or 40% that I've seen with salvage titled autos..

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

With a salvage title cut it in HALF. End of story.

No more than $5k in my book.

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

It's black but not my 1st choise of color. I am going to look at a 97 1500SE tonight. It is a 2 tone silver and white. That is more what I want. It has 54K and he wants 7695.00 that is slightly over Kelly blue book. I would feel like I got a good deal if I could buy it for 7000 , depends on what it has on it when I get there, they don't have a way to send pictures so I am going to go look tonight. Let you guys know. If I buy it my 83 11000A will be for sale!
Randy

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
imported post

Salvage title to me decreases the value a lot in my book. I don't care what anyone says other than the bank and the insurance man. If inusurance is only going to pay you X amount of dollars that's what I look at.

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
imported post

Another thing to consider, IMHO, if you are going to keep the bike for a long time, then work on the price and make sure the bike checks out mechanically. Ins co's will total a bike at the drop of the hat on a slow laydown. However, they do the same thing for bent forks and frames. If you think you may want to resell later, I would pass on the salvage title, very limited buyer set for the most part. (unless the price is dirt cheap) good luck

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I paid pretty well normal market value for my 1200SEI which had a salvage title and sold it for a good price when I upgraded to the 1500. The salvage title didn't have much effect on the final price either buying or selling. True, it might put some people off but since insurance companies will total out a 'Wing even if the damage is only in the plastics which can be replaced it seems foolish to me not to look at a bike that had been damaged. The reason they total them out so quickly is that having one rebuilt by a shop is definitely prohibitive. If someone that knows what they are doing did the repairs well I wouldn't worry about it at all. Even if it drops the resale a bit it doesn't matter if you ride the bike for several years since it's value will drop anyway.

·
Premium Member
993 Posts
imported post

Please be aware that you may pay more for insurance as well...

It cost meTWICE as much to insure my 81' Wing due to salvage title... :shock:

·
12,841 Posts
imported post

Cody in MN wrote:

I'm not doubting you I'm just surprised by this statement. Why would they charge more for something on a salvage title when their payout, should it get totaled out again, will be much less than it's original value? :baffled: Have you checked with other insurance companies? Was it you that totaled the bike?

John

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
imported post

I would pay more for a bike in mint condition with asalvage titleover a bike infair condition with no salvage title if both bikes were identical in year,mileage, and options, I don't think a salvage title should automatically make a bike a huge liability and therefore worth less than half or more, obviously the damage that was done will dictate the price,(like if it was ran over by a semi and sloppily pieced back together) along with the level of the the repairs made, it really doesn't take a heck of alot of damage to "total" abike, especially a goldwing, I'll bet a good side swiping would be a "totalling out" by an insurance company(on an older one). Replace all the side panels(have you seen what side panels go for?!?!), give all systems a going over, everything works great, bike looks beautiful, but now the bike is worth half? I'll bet I could easily get someone to pay 80% or more of what the bikes worth, knowing full well it is "salvaged".

·
12,841 Posts
imported post

knute wrote:
it really doesn't take a heck of alot of damage to "total" abike, especially a goldwing, I'll bet a good side swiping would be a "totalling out" by an insurance company(on an older one).
Doesn't have to be that old. When NaturalyGW went down last October on the freeway with his 2000SE,it damaged the right side of the bike, but it was almost completely sliding damage. The guards took the bulk of the force from going over, and then it slid for awhile. The estimate at the shop to fix it was over $12,000, and they missed some stuff. We put it back together for a fraction of that cost. He compromised on a few things, choosing cost over beauty, which I completely agree with, and now he has his bike back in very good condition, mechanically sound with a few cosmetic flaws. If he had chosen to spend the extra dollars to make it perfect, then in all respects it would be as if the accident never happened as far as the condition.

That said, unless you were the one putting the bike back together, know the person that did, or have evidence as to what the damage was that caused the bike to be totaled, it would be difficult to assess the value based on how well it was fixed. The retail sales value could vary a lot, but as I said in my first post, the insurance agent should be able to give you a realistic book value of that bike with a salvage title. I personally wouldn't have any problem buying a bike with a salvage title if it was a lay-down type accident. If it was a hard hit accident from just about any angle, I would have it checked very thoroughly before considering that.

One thing I didn't consider before taking NGW's bike apart, and it wasobviously missed by the Honda shop doing the estimate too, was the instrument cluster. It's case is made of plastic, with 4 corners supporting it to it's mounts. That lay down at 60 MPH was enough to break all 4 corners off. We were able to glue it back together sufficiently for it to be stable, and you would never know it without taking the fairing apart, but I say this because there can be hidden damage that you might not realize. If I would have grabbed the face of the cluster before taking the fairing apart, I probably could have moved it around some, but it wouldn't have moved much even with the broken mounts, because of the way it was sandwiched in there. These kind of things would be sufficient reason in my book to look for lower prices on a salvage title bike than I would expect on one with a clean title.

John

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Cody in MN wrote:

A salvage title didn't make any difference on my GEICO insurance on an '86 SEI

·
Premium Member
993 Posts
imported post

Jluvs2dive wrote:
Cody in MN wrote:

I'm not doubting you I'm just surprised by this statement. Why would they charge more for something on a salvage title when their payout, should it get totaled out again, will be much less than it's original value? :baffled: Have you checked with other insurance companies? Was it you that totaled the bike?

John
I did'nt know it was salvage title... I have never,ever had anything other than liability

on any vehicle... anyway, even with the doubled rate, still only $75.00 for the year

·
12,841 Posts
imported post

Cody in MN wrote:
I did'nt know it was salvage title... I have never,ever had anything other than liability on any vehicle...
That makes it even stranger! Why would liability be higher on a salvage title? I suppose they might assume that being a salvage title that they are more subject to breakdown on the road, making them more hazardous, but that's a stretch at best IMHO.

John

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
imported post

NomadicWing wrote:
Another thing to consider, IMHO, if you are going to keep the bike for a long time, then work on the price and make sure the bike checks out mechanically. Ins co's will total a bike at the drop of the hat on a slow laydown. However, they do the same thing for bent forks and frames. If you think you may want to resell later, I would pass on the salvage title, very limited buyer set for the most part. (unless the price is dirt cheap) good luck
+1 Good advice, I'd look elsewhere, why take a chance.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.