Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I was rear-ended and got off pretty lucky with relatively minor injuries and lots of busted tupperware. The repair estimate seems to far exceed the selling price of comparable bikes, and the dealer warns me that some parts are unavailable. I haven't heard from the insurer yet, but I am trying to prepare for the news that she's totaled.

Of course, I love my bike, I know its maintenance history (I have the skinned knuckles to prove it), and I want it back. I expect that they will let me buy it, but do any of you have any idea what price I should agree to? It's a 1993 GL1500A with about 25,000 miles (try to go easy on the low miles teasing) and the entire drivetrain is sound. Much of the rear luggage needs replacement plus one muffler and some other less expensive body parts. I think if I troll Ebay long enough, I may find the parts to repair the worst parts myself, and maybe leave the minor stuff broken/bent/scraped. Or I could trike it and sell it (though a salvage title might make that a losing idea).

So I'm not asking what I could sell it for. I'm asking how cheap can I buy it. I have no idea what is a fair offer. I appreciate any advice from some of you who have been there. Even if you had a vastly different bike, or much more damage, I'd be curious what the insurance company thought was a fair salvage value.

Thanks!
Eric

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
imported post

:waving:Going through this same thing. The first number I want from my insurance is what the bike is worth, with all the extras on it. Mine has over 35, lites, crome, rack, and the rest. After we agree on the bike value, then I will work on the buy back price.:baffled: Greg

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
imported post

I believe that here in Pennsylvania it is typically 10% of the book value to purchase your totalled vehicle. Not sure if that applies in all states or if it has to so with the insurance company you deal with. Worst part about it is that you get a salvage title although the vehicle is in very good shape.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Then find a triker to get the rear end parts you need.

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

When my parked pickup was rear end and totaled the gal's insurance offered it back at $250 + DMV fees about $30. Oddly enough they (insurance) acted as if they were doing me a favor but after two weeks of me bitching how it was their client that screwed me out of my truck and several hours of time I ended up paying $25 + the $30 DMV fees.

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
imported post

Depends on the damage as well i guess but over here they seem to give you a price thats worth buying it back. As rudy says there are lots of trike conversions and hence side panniers to be got, keep an eye on ebay and put a want out, some one might be sitting on the boxes you want, you can go oem way exhausts or get pattern bits

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
imported post

I bought my car back after it was totaled after a tree fell on it because of the ice storm we had a couple years ago. I am pretty sure I paid 10% of the blue book value at the time of the incident. Probably the only time in my life I'll pay under 400 dollars for a well maintained BMW, lol.

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
imported post

Do insc companies alone make the decision to write off a motorcycle, and is that decision based solely upon economics? IE less expensive for them. Do they base their decision on the acquision of new parts, or are they savvy enough to go looking for parts in all the good places. If they decide to write it off, is that vehicle then automatically give a salvage title? As has been stated, a Goldwing can be deemed to be written off-on economics only-even when it has suffered only cosmetic damage, and there is nothing wrong with the mechanics. To me, this seems pretty unfair.

Bottom line question--Are salvage titles decided on economics or damage??

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

Hawker22 wrote:
Do insc companies alone make the decision to write off a motorcycle, and is that decision based solely upon economics? IE less expensive for them. Do they base their decision on the acquision of new parts, or are they savvy enough to go looking for parts in all the good places. If they decide to write it off, is that vehicle then automatically give a salvage title? As has been stated, a Goldwing can be deemed to be written off-on economics only-even when it has suffered only cosmetic damage, and there is nothing wrong with the mechanics. To me, this seems pretty unfair.

Bottom line question--Are salvage titles decided on economics or damage??
At least in this area, whether a vehicle is totalled or not is determined by the estimated cost of repairs and the vehicles value. I don't know what the magic number is, but I think if the repair estimate is somewhere between 50%-75% of the vehicle's value, it is totalled.

If the vehicle is deemed totalled by the insurance company, it gets a salvage title. Doesn't matter what kind of damage it had. So, if you have a car that is worth $1000, and get a dent in a fender that costs $750 to repair, it is totalled and gets a salvage title.

John

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
imported post

JerseyWinger,

When I totaled my mint 1980 GL1100, It was valued at 4200.00 by the Ins. Co, and I paid 55.00 to get it. Divide that process into 4300, and that's the percentage. If the insurance company says you cannot but it, they are telling you a lie. Especially if it is State Farm. That's who I was with, and just tell them you want to retain the bike minus the bikes salvage price. Now every week, the storage cost goes up 50.00 per week, so the sooner you get it out, the more money you can save.

Nightrider1

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm sure I'm looking at a total. My repair estimate is over $7000. I looked it over, it doesn't seem inflated. Less than 10% of that is labor. There are a million tiny parts making up each saddlebag unit, so used parts are the only practical solution. I've been watching ebay but haven't found what I need yet. Next step would be to call some trike builders, as Rudy suggested.

It's very interesting what experiences others had. From 1.3% (Nightrider1) to 10% of the undamaged bike's value.

The quote includes $50/day for storage! That's a racket too. I hope the insurer doesn't tack that on top of the salvage value. It should be a separate item. I'm not dealing with my own insurer -- it's the insurer of someone who lent a car to an unlicensed, careless driver, so I don't expect them to be helpful. This whole process makes me angry. I have to keep reminding myself I'm lucky to be limping.

-- Lucky Eric

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
imported post

JerseyWinger,

You got a case many attorneys would love to get a hold of. I gotta go and get to bed. Nite All!

Good Luck,

Nightrider1

JerseyWinger wrote:
Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm sure I'm looking at a total. My repair estimate is over $7000. I looked it over, it doesn't seem inflated. Less than 10% of that is labor. There are a million tiny parts making up each saddlebag unit, so used parts are the only practical solution. I've been watching ebay but haven't found what I need yet. Next step would be to call some trike builders, as Rudy suggested.

It's very interesting what experiences others had. From 1.3% (Nightrider1) to 10% of the undamaged bike's value.

The quote includes $50/day for storage! That's a racket too. I hope the insurer doesn't tack that on top of the salvage value. It should be a separate item. I'm not dealing with my own insurer -- it's the insurer of someone who lent a car to an unlicensed, careless driver, so I don't expect them to be helpful. This whole process makes me angry. I have to keep reminding myself I'm lucky to be limping.

-- Lucky Eric

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
imported post

JerseyWinger wrote:

-- Lucky Eric
Eric - If you have 7000$ in damages and you're not badly injured then I'd count yourself lucky! Who is charging you storage fees? The dealer that is looking at the bike? That's insane.. I was rear ended a few months ago and the bike sat at the dealers for 2 weeks, they didn't charge me a thing and I didn't even have the repairs performed there.

FYI salvage titles in NJ can apparently be sort of difficult. After the bike has been totaled and a salvage title is issued you have to have it inspected by the state police before it can be registered again. I have heard they are difficult to deal with and will perform a thourough inspection. I haven't actually gone through this process myself I was warned off it by the mechanic at my local Kawasaki dealer. After talking to him I called a few others and was told the same thing. I would look into the process for getting the bike on the road again before I considered buying it back!

-J

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
imported post

Jerseywinger,

I would lso get the bike, as soon as possible, because they cannot keeo ypu for getting it, and if they want to charge tou a fortne, Just goive them Your attorneya card. syate Farn toyalled mine, with only cosmedic damage, and it would have only taked aroung 600.oo to repait it usuing sftermarket parts, but they had Verstar break off the trunk, and right salldlebag, and bale it look worse. I could have taken the saddlsbags off and bade it a naked Wing for less than 100.00, but I found out what rstate fArn had up their sleeve. They had a buyer for it, because thay made a typo in the Vin Number, and was going to sell it as a non salvaged bike.

Insurance companies are very, very crooked, and thet will look tou inthe eye, and make you believe the moom is green, but iI found out that if you fight for what is right and true, you will win. I woild lone to be abe to go uop with you and get it if it wasn't too far. Can you have it shipped?

It was the Wrecker dealer who told me it was going to cost 200 to get it out of his yard, and I handed hin 2 100 bills, and he would not let me have it, and I then know something was wrong. He let State Farm have it a week later for $150.00. He had it sent to North Carolina Verstar, who does State Farms Work, and thats where it cost 50.00 per week storage. Also where the extra damage was done, but I couldn't prove it. My attorney had him nearly begging me to come get it,and I did. So, I used it for a parts bike. If I were you, I would get it, and take the rear sattlebags off, and temporailly ride it naked,

.Who totaled it out, the Insurance place, or whom? This is what you got to find out, and tell them you want to Knock off the salvage price, and deduct it from the total. In Alabama, Totaled means if the cost of repair exceeds 25%. I made a mistake. Sorry about that. Please let me know. Pm me, and I will give you my attorneys Phone number, and he can tell you what to do.

If the bike was in mint shape, (My Mint 80 was 4450.00) and thats what they had to total it for. So my Ins. Paid off the note, and with the Leftovers, I went and got the bike, and porchased the current black wing from my neighor.

Thanks,

Nightrider1

jacknj wrote:

JerseyWinger wrote:

-- Lucky Eric
Eric - If you have 7000$ in damages and you're not badly injured then I'd count yourself lucky! Who is charging you storage fees? The dealer that is looking at the bike? That's insane.. I was rear ended a few months ago and the bike sat at the dealers for 2 weeks, they didn't charge me a thing and I didn't even have the repairs performed there.

FYI salvage titles in NJ can apparently be sort of difficult. After the bike has been totaled and a salvage title is issued you have to have it inspected by the state police before it can be registered again. I have heard they are difficult to deal with and will perform a thourough inspection. I haven't actually gone through this process myself I was warned off it by the mechanic at my local Kawasaki dealer. After talking to him I called a few others and was told the same thing. I would look into the process for getting the bike on the road again before I considered buying it back!

-J

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Well, I picked up the bike today. Still runs great. I leave for a nonrefundable 2-week vacation tomorrow (a cruise). Maybe a couple days on the beach will do my attitude some good! But I didn't want the bike accumulating $700 in storage fees that whole time. That's a Honda dealer rate.

I do not carry collision insurance. I figure if I'm ever at fault for wrecking the bike, I'll have to suck it up. In this case, it is the other driver's insurance company that will declare it totaled. A rear-end accident on a straight, level road on a clear, dry day and the car at the rear of the pack hits 3 vehicles, and had an unlicensed driver who also got ticketed for careless driving. I can't imagine any dispute of fault.

Now some of you mentioned lawyers. I've spoken to a few lawyers about this case. I've also read a lot of books. The liability is clear, but because of my car insurance selection of the "verbal lawsuit threshold" I cannot sue for anything but out-of-pocket damages unless my injury turns into a permanent disability. Since damages are only a few thousand, the lawyers won't take the case on contingency (and their fee would eat into my small recovery anyway). Some lawyers offer to help for $250/hour plus misc. costs.

As for converting into a Naked Wing, it's hard on a 1500 because all the rear lamps are in the saddlebags and trunk. And the mufflers are supported by the luggage frame. I think I will look for salvage parts. The dealer doesn't seem to want to work with salvage parts so I will try it myself or take it to an independent shop.

JackNJ, your NJ experience is very valuable. I don't worry about a detailed inspection, other than the hassle of taking it to them. I am confident that I only have damages to body parts, and of course, the luggage frame, but not the drivetrain, suspension, or main frame. Well, I suppose if they make me prove that I won't know how to. But I'd be willing to try.

Thanks again everyone. I can't emphasize enough how much it helps to talk this out with you. I will be offline for two weeks with my toes in the sand in the Caribbean. The therapist says soaking in the hot tubs and walking in the sand will really help my injuries, but I shouldn't carry my own luggage. OK, doctor's orders!

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Need a luggage boy? I volunteer, just mail me the ticket!!!

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
imported post

how come you don't have full coverage i thought every motorcyclerider in nj used rider insurance company because they have some special deal set with the state to give the coverage at a much lower rate than the other companies.

i've got full coverage on the 12 month plan & it only cost me $400 a year at age 28.

i know i had other companies quote me at about $1400 for liability & $2700 for full coverage on the 12 month plan when i got the bike at age 23 were rider only charged me $700 at that age for full coverage on the 12 month plan.

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

I totalled my old truck by hitting my next door neighbor's mail box across the street.

State Farm declaredmy truck totalled since the repairs exceed the current value of the vehicle.The insurance paid me the current retail value ~$4,500. I paid~$1,200 to get my truck back. They said they charge what they expect they can get at an insurance action. Of course, I told them they were trying to beat me out of my truck.

The only thing I was worried about was the title issue since they weregoing to total it. The insurance company did not evenquestion or have a concern about me keeping the vehicle. If this was abrand newtruck,they would have repaired it for around $5,000. But, since it was old and exceeded the current value, theyjust look at it as a repairwhere I would make up the difference.

I too only have liability insurance on my Goldwing that cost me about $110 per year through Progressive. I am thinking about adding comprehensive, but I think theywould require collisioncoverage toacquire comprehensive.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
imported post

crazzyrman wrote:
how come you don't have full coverage i thought every motorcyclerider in nj used rider insurance company because they have some special deal set with the state to give the coverage at a much lower rate than the other companies.

i've got full coverage on the 12 month plan & it only cost me $400 a year at age 28.

i know i had other companies quote me at about $1400 for liability & $2700 for full coverage on the 12 month plan when i got the bike at age 23 were rider only charged me $700 at that age for full coverage on the 12 month plan.
Rider is good, but they ain't THAT good ; )

Rider does not have any special deal with the state, they do have good rates. I am still insured with them (liability only, 280$/year for 3 bikes) However I'm only insured with them out of pure laziness, Progressive would be a small bit cheaper if I could be bothered to change over. I think I'd save 20$. I might do it next year.

Check Progressive the next time your policy comes up, I have had this talk with at least 20-30 guys in NJ and the cheapest policies are always with Progressive.

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
imported post

Even if you dont put it back on the road. As a parting out bike the opportunity to make alot of money on parts will far exceed what you can buy it back for. I bought my VF700 back foraround $400 back in 89' after it was totaled. But I had alot of the stock parts that went back on it. And that saved me a ton of money in fixing it. I stuck alot of money back into my pocket, rode the bike about another 6 months and sold it with disclosing the work for almost what I paid for it.

If you dont buy it back,it goes to some MC salvage yard where they part it or fix it with used parts from donors for hefty profits. And with the internet now you can make more than enough on parts to add to the base you got from insurance to buy a nice new one and never have money out of pocket to ride new. YOu just have to do the labor and listing. You can make 1000's off a parts bike nowadays. Big money in it. Just look at ebay and craiglists.Its a chance to make up a huge chunk of money for little investment to put towards that new one if you want. JR

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.