Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi all,

I have just come back from Spain with a Medion GPS, it seemed to good to miss ;)

Well I have had a search through the board and can't seem to find anything specific to this model. So have any of you fitted one of these to a 1500? if so where did you get the mounting kit from?

Thanks in adavnce.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

How about some velcro on the back and stick it to the bridge just behind the handlebars. Another easy mount would be to fashion a piece of aluminium (Courtesy spelling, the English are wrong about it but I'm being polite), about as long as the unit and twice as long, bend it in half a bit more than 90 degrees, stick the metal to the dash behind the windscreen (another courtesy) with velcro and velcro the GPS to the other end of the aluminum (enough funny spelling). You could then bend the angel for the best viewing. It would make it easy to remove the unit from the bike and cost very little.

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
imported post

I have successfully used Industrial strength Velcrow to stick  light things:           a control for my MP3 player , and  a (small)  digital thermometer... and tiny emblems  to various parts  of the bike... it works GREAT /forums/images/emoticons/shock.gif!!!... but.. heavy sigh/forums/images/emoticons/sad.gif .. if the item is  large, or has any leverage at all.. then it must be supportable by the flat part before the velcrow... I  successfully supported a CD player this way for a summer on the left glove box cover......... Case in point.. I was unable to fasten a Digital compass with this stuff.. the compass  sticks up a inch and a half, and vibrated its way loose after a few miles...  a  GPS is  even more "massive".. you will have to make an Aluminum platform that would stay there by itself , for a few blocks    before you try the velcrow...  I had a friend who made such a platform for his radar detector... and it worked.. but the platform was screwed to the inside of the upper fairing... it looked ugly when the dectector was removed... Might be prettier to buy one of the proper handlebar mounts with the  ball and socket joint , just for security.. I was only a little frazzled when my $22 compass fell to the road.. a $1000GPS mighjt be a little more traumatic !/forums/images/emoticons/mad.gif!!! SilverDave /forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/cooldj.gif

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Hi Mark 1247, I have Medion GPS, Halfords do/did them and the accessories are readily available from Medion directly. Mine came with a sucker mount for windscreens, which sticks like s**t to a blanket, and the goldwing screen! There is also a showerproof cover and 12volt power cable and a bicycle handle bar mount, which might be modifyable for wing bars. If you pop in to Halfords, they will probably be able to give you the number for Medion after sales. If not PM me and I will try and find the UK number, I have instructions but I also put things away too safely!!:goofygrin:

Pete

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

Is this the PNA 150? If so its a good unit and should already be supplied with the sucker cup. It uses Windows CE as the OS and has the Q4 Navteq maps that are also in the TomTom 5. There is a bicycle mount you can get, but the only other mounts I know of are the sucker and the stalk/sucker mount in the picture.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Yep Englishted, thats all the stuff I got with mine.

Pete

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

I don't know what type of GPS the Meridian is but I am sure you could find something that would do the trick from Ram Mounts. If you have a look here

http://www.gpscentral.ca/

They do have some stuff for the Meridian but which model I don't know.

I am not sure I would like something with a suction cup on my windshield, its one thing if it drops off in a car but I don't want my Garmin bouncing along an interstate at 80 MPH :baffled:
These people ship internationally and a very reliable, I was amazed at the speed my stuff was shipped, I guess Canada Post finally got rid of the canoes and horses :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Thanks for the replies all.

@ exavidI had considered making something out of aluminium ( courtesy appreciated) but also curious as to what others had used with the same model. It may well be the way to go.

@ SilverDaveVelcro may work, the unit itself is not very heavy, BUT I don't want to watch it fly off! :shock:

@ Silverfox& englishted, it did indeed come with all the extras as your picture, except the handlebar mount. I have considered using the sucker, as you rightly say Silverfoxit sticks VERY well. I am just a little dubious as to how well it would work on the wing, on a bumpy road in the rain. :baffled: (Speaking of rain, any of you know how good that showerproof cover is, and how much?)

Is this the PNA 150? If so its a good unit and should already be supplied with the sucker cup. It uses Windows CE as the OS and has the Q4 Navteq maps that are also in the TomTom 5.
It is a Medion MD95900 (PNA 200S) I think it is the same, maybe just with newer maps, it also has a built in MP3 player (I don't know if thePNA150 does?) I didn't know the Q4 Navteq maps were in the Tom Tom 5, has anyone tried loading them on the Medion?

@ trickythanks for the link, I will take a look.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

mark1247 wrote:
Thanks for the replies all.

@ exavidI had considered making something out of aluminium ( courtesy appreciated) but also curious as to what others had used with the same model. It may well be the way to go.
I mounted a GPS about the same size in a Commonwealth (old airplane) with a good sized patch of velcro and there was no doubt the thing wouldn't fall off, it took a goodly pull just to get it loose at all. I had about a 3 1/2" X 4" patch of the stuff on it. There was a removeable door on the back, so I just cut a hole in the velcro around it and made a patch of the stuff to cover the little plate. I've found there's velcro and then there's velcro. Some of the stuff is better quality than others.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Not sure just how showerproof the cover is, haven't had to put it to the test yet.

There is a vague chance that I might have a cover to spare, my dad bought a Median for me, my two sons and himself, this last Christmas and I don't think the others are likely to use the covers. If you can't get one from Medion cheeply, give me a PM and I'll see if I could beg one off my lads. Ours are MDPNA100s. A lesser model than the ones that you are all talking about no doubt, but it might fit :baffled:

Pete

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

I know a guy using one of these PNA150's on a BMW bike. He uses the sucker and has a thin beanbag under the unit to stop any vibes getting through and knocking it off the screen and also to protect the dash material. So far he hasn't had a problem with this setup except that in rain the showerproof cover mists up on the inside.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Silverfox wrote:
Not sure just how showerproof the cover is, haven't had to put it to the test yet.

There is a vague chance that I might have a cover to spare, my dad bought a Median for me, my two sons and himself, this last Christmas and I don't think the others are likely to use the covers. If you can't get one from Medion cheeply, give me a PM and I'll see if I could beg one off my lads. Ours are MDPNA100s. A lesser model than the ones that you are all talking about no doubt, but it might fit :baffled:

Pete

I managed to track one down through medion, cost me less than £10 inc p&p.

Lets hope I don't need to test it out.

Thanks for the help. ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.