Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well in western pa. we have schools closed, work called off, and general hysteria. WHAT WE GOT, a rain storm. No lighting, or high winds. The money lost, was caused by weather that never happens. That has been the case so many times, its like crying wolf.
With that said, Blackwater falls in Davis WV got over 2' of snow. Just south of Pa. in the mountains of WV. they were devastated with snow. But here in south western Pa. we are safe and sound.
May God watch over all during this weather event.
Gary

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
Good to hear your safe buddy, hope the same is the case for all members up there. Looking at the news it's not very nice. I'm supposed to head up there tomorrow but it depends on the runways, right now I hear there is damage...

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
.I see Ohio got snow.You would think with the technology we have they could be more accurate.You can come to pittsburgh, with no problem.
i went to wal~mart yesterday. There was panic. Not one bottle of water left, no propane, no propane stoves,no lanterns, no flash lights,and no heaters.Don't even think about getting toilet paper, Milk, or bread. I think Wal~Mart called the weather man, and gave him a bribe.
God bless
Gary.

·
Premium Member
1,846 Posts
Yea our guys here in Virgina missed the boat on that one also. General hysteria caused by the potential forecast. I undetrstand that they have to make people aware of the potential but.... Anyway hope everyone is safe and sound.

Ritchie

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
Snowing here:santawaving:

·
Just one of the guys
4,833 Posts
It is kind of surprising how a storm can so badly fool all of the computer models and forecasters. On Sunday they were saying by this time the storm would have passed northward through central PA and NY and be up in Canada somewhere. It is just sitting there in Southwest PA watering everything down from the east coast to Iowa. It did die down quite quickly once it hit land.

Mother Nature is going to do what she wants, no matter what the weather guessers tell her to do.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
well it seems to me some scientists in italy got sent to jail for not warning the population of an earth quake. you have to overestimate the danger or the leagal types will have you a$$.
Wilf

·
Premium Member
17,087 Posts
The local weatherman was saying last week that this storm would be sitting here until Thursday before it moves North. Looks like he nailed it.

·
Premium Member
8,242 Posts
well it seems to me some scientists in italy got sent to jail for not warning the population of an earth quake. you have to overestimate the danger or the leagal types will have you a$$.
Wilf
You said it all right there in a nut shell.

Litigation should be a four letter word.:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
heck I am still without power and my little generator quit on me, no coffee at my house this AM. the wood stove is keeping the place warm.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
.I see Ohio got snow.You would think with the technology we have they could be more accurate.You can come to pittsburgh, with no problem.
i went to wal~mart yesterday. There was panic. Not one bottle of water left, no propane, no propane stoves,no lanterns, no flash lights,and no heaters.Don't even think about getting toilet paper, Milk, or bread. I think Wal~Mart called the weather man, and gave him a bribe.
God bless
Gary.
Glad your safe, hope everyone is.

Nothing like being prepared Eh. :confused:
Well the good thing about not planning ahead and just waiting for an emergency and go into a panic buying frenzy at the last minute is most of that stuff can be returned for a refund if not needed LOL
Why plan ahead and be stuck with the stuff :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
heck I am still without power and my little generator quit on me, no coffee at my house this AM. the wood stove is keeping the place warm.
Glad you are safe and warm.
If you have a wood stove then why don't you have coffee?
Boil water on the wood stove in a pan and pour it through the electric pots filter basket manually, same thing as letting the pot heat the water and pump it through.

Those of us that use wood stoves for heat should never be without a way to cook or no coffee!

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
My stove is a double barrel thats two fifty five gallon barrels that heat the house. and this morning I left extra early for work i wanted to grab a shower at work before working I am in charge of the food distribution for the town during emergencys and we are now waiting for the first truck load of MRE's and water to come in. I will have to set things up for heating somewater if we spend another dark night. I could use the gas grill also. don" tell the wife about this she likes her coffee in the am.

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
In Southern Maine we faired quite well compared to NJ/NY area. It was clear enough today to ride the bike to work.

Chromo is right about a woodstove. I think anyone who lives in the NE and doesn't have some sort of backup heat supply needs to rethink emergencies. We had an ice storm in 1998 and we were without power for 10 1/2 days but thanks to a small wood stove it kept the wife and our then kids warm, great to cook on just took longer for my wife to get things made. After the wood stove or alternate heat of someother kind, a generator helps to keep the water pumping, toilets flushed, and food from spoiling!

My heart goes out to all the folks that have gone through Sandy and are hurting.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.