Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Me again,

Not the best for finding my way around this country where I can read the signs and becoming a little nervous about travelling through Spain to SW France.

Ideal solution (other than not going) is to invest in a Sat Nav system. Here lies my question.

Can anybody make a recommendation as to which one to invest in. I, obviously, do not want to spend a fortune on something that will be little used, but equally I don't want to buy something that will give up the ghost after 200 miles. I need to be able to reschedule it after early stopovers either through traffic, weather or simply we've both had enough for the day.

Thanks

Steve

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

Has to be a Garmin Steve. The likes of the Palmpilot aren't waterproof, Garmins you just fit & forget. The current map software is excellent for the UK and western Europe. The new Quest is about half the price of the 2610 and uses the same maps, the display is smaller.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks Ted,

Can you program a route away from your pc or does it has to be downloaded from your pc? At this juncture I have no idea where I'll end up. I have a rough idea of where I'm going, but like many of you I tend to get taken on a whim and stop where I find somewhere that I like the look of. Otherwise I guess I might as well go package holiday.

Steve

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
imported post

Hi Steve

Ive a post on the General Discussion page about 26 items down on the same subject.

The Garmin street Pilot 111, is a fantastic machine, you can get the Garmin 2610 for an extra £200.

the Quest is cheaper, but a lot smaller screen.

Themain disadvantage between the sp111 and the 2610 is the memory on the 2610 can hold all of Europe. the sp111 holds about 10% on one memory card, but you have down loaded 100% of Europe on you computer. and selected your route of your choose with unbelievable detail, or more areas on more than one card.

I have down loaded my next trip from the Isle of Man- Hull- Zeebrugge- wiesbaden in mid Germany with good detail.

If you decide to purchasea Garmin, let me Know i let you know were i got a good deal and the supplier of the clutch resovar mount as in the photos on the other forum.

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks Manxblackcat,

Are you recommending the SP111 or the 2610 as I'm unclear.

What sort of money are we talking about?

Thanks

Steve

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
imported post

Hi Steve

The option is yours, I and other wing and Pan owners have the Street pilot 111, I can recommend Adventuremotorcycling.co.uk For cost of £519 you get every thing to you need to fix to you bike inc helmet audio set, hardwiring for your bike, included is cigarette/ speaker plug and none slip pad for your car.

I understand the 2610 is £200 more expensive but basicly does the same thing.

I believe I made the right chose with the Street pilot 111, to suit my requirements for touring.

If you tour from one side of Europe to the other My be the extra £200 who not be a bad investment, it boils down to the amount of info you want your GPS to hold before re programming or down loading on a separate card.

As i am not a Guru and never been educated to that standard, and you make no sense of this message,log onto at http://www.adventuremotorcycling.co.uk or Tel John 0870 745 3756 who will help.

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
imported post

cant remember if it is the 2610 or the 2620 that has a hard drive in it - whichever one it is if you have a problem with garmin will not warrenty if fitted to a motorbike of any sort.

As for traveling down to Spain - took the SP III when we went on the elite-wings eurotour to spain and it gave us coverage from norwich to dover - then from the tunnel down to cadiz down the west side of france into spain then coming back we went via the east side of spain and france . the spIII memory card had enough space for all the maps and then some. Yo can always but the memory cards from the states as they are a lot cheaper over there than this side of the pond.

rgds

Phil

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

manxblackcat wrote:
As i am not a Guru and never been educated to that standard,log onto http://www.adventuremotorcycling.co.uk or Tel John 0870 745 3756 who will help.
Hey manxblackcat, :waving:Thats first class information, :clapper:i can understand that myself. :clapper: Promotion to "Guru" just around the corner. :clapper:I hope you dont have to travel to Dublin to be interviewed, :whip: it's a long journey from the Isle of Man. :crying:

:leprechaun: :18red: :leprechaun:

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

I use a Garmin Rhino to find my way. It's not as pretty as the fancier ones but it does the same job. The advantagesof the Rhino is that I can take it in my car, boat, motorcycle or in my pocket anyplace I go. It's a nice little unit loaded with lots of great feautures and only cost me $250. Cdn. It also has a built in two way radio that has a range of about 2.5 miles.

The only thing I'm not really fond of with this unit is the small screen display when showing all features at once, but, if I use it only as a compass or route heading indicatoronly,it reads very clearly whilestrapped in on the left side fairing pocket cover.

I should also mention that it is waterproof as well.

Vic

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
imported post

Hi Folks

I use Tom Tom 3 on an Ipaq, I have found it useful and reliable, it is a cheaper option. In the UK it ships with a map of the UK and a map of the roads of western Europe, which makes navigation across most of the European countries a breeze.

There are a few things about the Tom Tom/PDA that need to be thought about up front , they could be considered negative or positive depending on your outlook.......

Tom Tom needs a PDA ,a PC to connect to the PDA, Software installation onto the PC and PDA. To get the best from it you also need an SD memory card, I suggest a 1 Gigabyte minimum.
While none of this is particularly difficult or problematic if you don't have a PC or find a PC tiresome [yes there are such people out there....
], then these are all considerations., I know nothing about Garmin but I believe its a self contained unit. If you are a bit of a gadget freak and like the idea of playing with these kind of toys then the Tom Tom solution is great.
You can download positions of most points of interest from Pubs or Brothels to speed cameras and VD clinics [if only "leisure suit larry" had a GPS
]....
You can assign them to your maps and navigate to them, the Tom Tom does post code navigation in the UK, I would advise against the size of the screen as a primary consideration though, the voice commands straight to the headset are the safest and once you are used to it mean you don't have to take your eye's off the road as often. I pump the voice through the main speakers also and its easy to pick out the directions at 80-90mph
Another consideration.....all GPS systems are reliant on satellite for position
, mountainous regions can be a pain in the arse and can lead you round in circles, always plan your route beforehand and have the main road numbers jotted down [if you have a bad memory like me], whether your in the Alps the Pyrenees or the Rockies at some point the damn thing will freak out, This exact scenario must exist with the Garmin as well.
Another consideration - weather
The PDA does not like water, and time and effort needs to be applied to the job of keeping it dry - sandwich bags work well....taking the sandwiches out before hand is recommended

In summaryif you need a cheaper solution, and have a PDAalready then you will be hard placed to beat it for functionality or price.

BB

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
imported post

garmin will not warrenty if fitted to a motorbike of any sort.

Hi Phil

I am reliably informed this is not the case, they are certified water proof to marine standards, as they are recommended for fishing boats and alike.

As all electrical connection exposed to the elements on my bike I apply Vasaline to the connection as a secondary precaution, the GPS will be no exception.

I am please you confirmed the coverage of a good part of Europe is accessible on one card.

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
imported post

I hope you dont have to travel to Dublin to be interviewed,

Hi Redwing

Don't mind travelling toDublin for my interview, it will give me a chance to tidy my second home in Donny Brook.

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

That's one thing I forgot to mention about the Garmin Rhino. You can download/upload from a PC and store locations from anyplace in the world even restaurants and gas stations. Another nice feature is that it has tracks that show you where you have been so that you can keep track of mileage and time travelled.

Vic

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
imported post

Hi Manx - sorry mate didnt make the post clear - the warrenty issue is only for the unit that has the hard drive fitted andnot the SP III. The memory card for the SP III is a flash card so has no moving parts unlike the 2620 which is a hard drive

cheers

Phil

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Black Bart wrote:
Hi Folks

I use Tom Tom 3 on an Ipaq, I have found it useful and reliable, it is a cheaper option. In the UK it ships with a map of the UK and a map of the roads of western Europe, which makes navigation across most of the European countries a breeze.
Glad to hear there's at least one other who uses the cheapo method. I've been using my Dell Axim PDA with a CF card GPS plugged into the top of it for about a year and a half now with excellent results. I got the PDA on eBay refurbished so it's really a cheapo setup. Works well in the boat too with nautical charts. With a 256Mb SD card installed I can load five Western states including California so it holds a lot of territory at one time. I could have other SD cards loaded up if I needed to make a cross country run beyond the states currently loaded, they wouldn't be a bother to carry since they are about the size of a postage stamp and only about 1/16" of an inch thick. The whole works ran about $350

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

manxblackcat wrote:
Hi Redwing

Don't mind travelling toDublin for my interview, it will give me a chance to tidy my second home in Donny Brook.
Hey manxblackcat, :waving:Oh so you have a second home in the south side, :grinner: you are very fancy. :leprechaun: I wouldn't like trying to buy it today.:weightlifter:You can rent it out to all the guys who come from abroad for the "Guru" interviews. :clapper:

:coollep: :18red: :coollep:

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
imported post

manxblackcat wrote:
garmin will not warrenty if fitted to a motorbike of any sort.

Hi Phil

I am reliably informed this is not the case, they are certified water proof to marine standards, as they are recommended for fishing boats and alike.

As all electrical connection exposed to the elements on my bike I apply Vasaline to the connection as a secondary precaution, the GPS will be no exception.

I am please you confirmed the coverage of a good part of Europe is accessible on one card.

Good point about the Vaseline, the pins where the main power cable plugs in to the GPS can corrode. Silicone grease is a good idea as well and seems to last a very long time.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.