Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Does anyone have experience with satellite radio on the GL1500. Mine's an '89 and would like to know brand, cost of install, difficulty of install, etc.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,258 Posts
imported post

I used a car kit and mounted it in front of the ignition key. Since the kit is not waterproof I just slipped it in a zip-lock bag and slid it on the mount. Worked perfectly until we cancelled our sattelite subscription.
I used an FM modulator, but a cassette adapter might be better to avoid interference.

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
imported post

Mounted my "car kit" sirius radio just in front of the ignition switch, plugged into a 12 volt outlet I wired into my left storage pocket and listen directly from the satellite radio via ear buds. I purchased an antenna with a really short lead which I velcroed in front of the radio. I purchased a more or less water tight cover for it. I purchased the antenna and cover from TSS radio.

Works great! Let us know what you do and how it works.

T.

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
imported post

Just reread my post............how many times can YOU say "purchase"?

T.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

tnoort:
Not to worry about the "purchase" word! I really liked your answer and will likely use your ideas and rpeters549. I have the lifetime subscription and my wife has a very nice combo unit (AM, FM, CD, Sirius) in her car. Almost never listen to standard radio when in her car.
Where exactly is Coquitlam?

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
imported post

blkeatts w
Where exactly is Coquitlam?
Real close to you..............just outside Vancouver, B.C. Was thru Spokane a coupla times this last summer. Nice place!

Let me know how you make out with your satellite radio!

Have a great Xmas!

T.

·
Busdriver
1,037 Posts
imported post

Have my Sirius mounted on a Ram mount using the car kit, on the left side handlebar. Running power, antenna and modulator wires up the handlebar inside the plastic sleeve.
Audio is fed to either the exterior or headset speakers, all of which are J&M. Sound is good, but would be better and louder if I could direct connect thru an audio in on the bike radio, which I don't have.

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/29704_404213388417_648728417_4091801_3049358_n.jpg

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
imported post

I use the SkyDock for the IPhone hooked to a cigarette lighter in my trunk. I plug in a 6' extender and run it up to the front of the bike. I placed a ram mount to the center below the key ignition and put the IPhone there. The SkyDock has its own fm transmitter but I also have a fm modulator (I think audiovox) installed on the bike as well. I purchased an antenna for motorcycles that is just behind the passengers backrest. I use it all the time and it works flawlessly.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
imported post

I have an XM Onyx mounted to a Ram Mount. I drilled a hole in the ignition switch cover behind the key and mounted a Ram ball and an off-set ram ball there. I attached the GPS and XM radio so they sit on top of each other. Hooks into the bike audio via the tape deck as much better sound than the modulator. If I'm on the road, I either use my Nolan N-com or ear buds; in town I use the speakers.

I switch this back and forth between 3 bikes and my truck so I use a cigarette lighter power cable.

I'm still experimenting with shortening the antenna-about 2' seems to be the minimum for decent reception. Or you can coil the whole 23' around the ram mount.

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
imported post

I mounted my SkyFi docking station, FM wireless modulator, an additional power outlet in the "hump" of the travel trunk. I also have a place in there under the rear of the rack area for the antenna, I set the station before I get on as I know what I'm gonna listen to .... and it works without interfearance as the FM Modulator is not a foot from the radio antenna.

If I have something on the rack, then I have a hole I pass the antenna thought and simply stick it to the top of the rack or on top of whatever I have on the trunk.

It works so well on the 1500, that I removed my front handle bar mounted setup on the 1200 and remounted it the same, eliminated interfearance. I should add that in both cases, my docking station has a "button" made from aluminumback that is designed to fit a heavy dutyGE Communications mic clipand once snapped in place, no rotation happens. It means I can use these two setups interchangeably or in my older '77 Ford PU or .... any car if needed on a temp basis. My other vehicles have dedicated docking stations with wired modulators .... thanx Ebay.

Radio signals ...if you cut the distance between the transmitter (modulator) and reciever (antenna for AM / FM) by just half, you quadruple signal strength. I shortened it from several feet to under a foot.

;)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
imported post

My 92 has an aux jack that i use for the xm...works like a charm.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

The Interstate 1500 was the only 1500 that has the aux jack.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,258 Posts
imported post

Since I was using an FM modulator, I ran the antennae wires through the body and up on the factory radio antennae. Using the aux fuse block I wired a 12v lighter inlet and mounted it in the right glovebox as a power point. Ran the wires from there under the ignition plastic piece to plug in to the unit. Worked dandy (except for radio station interference if I got near Portland or some other towns).

·
350 Posts
imported post

tnoort wrote:
Just reread my post............how many times can YOU say "purchase"?

T.
ummmm tree times.:goofygrin:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.